none
Uploading 270 MB video on EW 2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to add a video that is an hour long in length. The movie was recorded in Movie Maker, encoded, and is an MP4 format. Everything has worked so far which I'm glad about. But when I go into EW to upload, I get the "processing" message, and it never uploads so the page never saves. It eventually just stops or says the server timed out. I am using EW remotely, but I've also tried directly uploading to the server, to no avail. There must be something I am overlooking. The server has plenty of space, and this is a video on my computer.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:51 AM

All replies

• Frankly, I wouldn't use EW to upload such a monster. The free FileZilla will get the job done, and as long as you upload it to the same page-relative or site root-relative (if using root-relative linking) location as on the local machine, you're in business.

EW has never had the most robust FTP client available, and even though EW4 has improved markedly in this respect, I would still rather use a third-party client for this particular application.

BTW, depending upon the technology you're using, you (and your visitors) may be in for an unpleasant surprise. If the video isn't in a streaming format, the whole thing will have to download before it can be viewed. In that case you might want to break it up into Part 1, Part 2, etc., with each part maybe 10-15 minutes in length. Just a thought...

cheers,
    scott

P.S. BTW, to keep EW from trying to publish it anyway, you will want to right-click the file in the Folder List pane and select "Exclude from Publishing." That will mark it so that EW won't attempt to transfer it, hanging up your next publish attempt.

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 3:28 AM
  • Just in case you're publishing to a server with front page extensions, you must publish a file that big using the ftp address and not the http address.

Expression Web MVP
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 1:38 PM
  • You can also use Windows Explorer to log and exchange data with an FTP server. Another handy tool for Firefox is FireFTP

Windows Explorer is already on your computer and FireFTP is a free download if you already have firefox installed.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 11:59 PM
  • Thanks for the help, everyone. Now I have to take this information and see what happens. Thanks again.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:35 AM