none
Point me in the right direction please. RRS feed

• Question

• I need to create an add-in to Outlook 2007 using Visual Studio 2012.

When the user presses "save and close" after when he is adding an appointment to the calendar, I want to popup a screen that has some additional data entry fields and a save and cancel button.

No matter what the user presses the item will be added to his outlook calendar.  If the user presses save, then I will build an object and populate the fields from the data on the form and the data in the outlook appointment.

Could some give me a brief explanation of how to jump in to the save event grab the data and then allow the outlook save carry on?

Thank you, Terrence

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:23 PM

Answers

• As Tom mentioned - creating strictly add-in for 2007 is not possible in VS 2012, so either:

1. use vs2010 to create office 2007 add-in

2. use vs2012 and always double check with documentation if method or type that you want to use was introduced in 2007 or earlier

3. use vs2012 but download 2007 PIA assemblies and copy them to your project and remove existing references to PIA 2010 and manually add new ones for 2007 dlls

As for rest of your question - use repurposing to handle save and close button clicked and invoke your code. Last parameter for your repurpose function will be boolean flag that will inform VSTOR if you want original processing of that button to take place after your event handler is done. Simply do not set that flag and original code from outlook will be invoked.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Terrence,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

It's based on my experience that you goal is hard to approach now. I would recommend you use Visual Studio 2010 to handle your issue.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 8:09 AM
  • As Tom mentioned - creating strictly add-in for 2007 is not possible in VS 2012, so either:

1. use vs2010 to create office 2007 add-in

2. use vs2012 and always double check with documentation if method or type that you want to use was introduced in 2007 or earlier

3. use vs2012 but download 2007 PIA assemblies and copy them to your project and remove existing references to PIA 2010 and manually add new ones for 2007 dlls

As for rest of your question - use repurposing to handle save and close button clicked and invoke your code. Last parameter for your repurpose function will be boolean flag that will inform VSTOR if you want original processing of that button to take place after your event handler is done. Simply do not set that flag and original code from outlook will be invoked.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:34 AM