none
CoreCon API for Windows 8 ? RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

On my previous experiences with Windows CE, mobile and phone 7 we used to be able to communicate with a windows device through CoreCon API. As far as I know there is no public announcement for such an API in Windows 8.

Is MSFT planning to implement this feature in Win 8, at least for tablets?

Otherwise, do you know software agent available in Win 8 that would enable us to perform remote tasks on win 8 device from a windows 7 host?

Is RPC the only way to achieve a remote task call?

Regards

Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Edward.

Windows 8 Desktop Development questions go in the appropriate Windows Desktop Development forum for the technology being used.  There is no specific "Windows 8" section.  Windows 8 Metro style app development questions to go the Metro style apps forums

This one is for Touch and Inking API.  It does not cover other API, even when used in a system with a Tablet form factor.

Visual Studio does support remote deployment and debugging.  I'm not sure about Test APIs to plug into that, but you can try asking in the Visual Studio forums. 

--Rob

Friday, December 16, 2011 11:44 PM

All replies

• That sounds like a networking API not a Touch or Ink API.  You'll be more likely to find people familiar with it in an appropriate forum.  That said, if there hasn't been a public announcement and it's not in the existing Developer Preview nobody will be able to say if it is coming or not.

--Rob

Friday, December 16, 2011 7:21 AM
  • Well, since there was no Win 8 section I thought "Tablet" was appropriate. Despite there's no public annoucement I had hoped someone could tell me if MSFT will provide debug, deployment and test tools / APIs for tablets like they do for WP7. I can't imagine developers installing VS2011 on their win 8 tablet to build apps. Anyway, I understand your point Rob, if it's not public, no chance I can find this info on a public forum.

Thanks

Friday, December 16, 2011 8:33 AM
  • Hi Edward.

Windows 8 Desktop Development questions go in the appropriate Windows Desktop Development forum for the technology being used.  There is no specific "Windows 8" section.  Windows 8 Metro style app development questions to go the Metro style apps forums

This one is for Touch and Inking API.  It does not cover other API, even when used in a system with a Tablet form factor.

Visual Studio does support remote deployment and debugging.  I'm not sure about Test APIs to plug into that, but you can try asking in the Visual Studio forums. 

--Rob

Friday, December 16, 2011 11:44 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Ok I'll ask my topic in the metro style app forum. As far as I know VS does support remote deployment / debug on Windows Devices (Win CE, Mobile, Phone 7). Part of my question is: Will Win 8 be recognized as devices or desktop when I plug it on my USB port?

Regards

Monday, December 19, 2011 8:33 AM