none
App works without store. But not if downloaded from store.

Question

• Hello,

I recently released my first App to the Store.

The App works when debugging in emulator and on the real phone. I also tried using the Application Deployment tool to transfer the app package to the phone and this also worked.

But when I download the App from the Store and try to run it, I only see the splash screen and then the App crashes or doesn't start at all.

Does someone know what could cause this behaviour and how to fix it?

The App is a Windows Phone (Runtime) App and uses a SQLite Database and the camera.

Is there a possibility to get app crash logs from the phone? I didn't find any information on this.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Dev Center let you monitor the application's crash.

Access your Dashboard and you can find this information at Reports -> Crash Count.

You can also export it.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 12:40 PM
  • Hi,

I looked there. But it says "There haven't been any app crashes in the last 30 days."

I also checked that the package was build with local symbols, which seems to be necessary for the reports.

Any other possibilities?

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 1:33 PM
  • If it's crashing at initialization time then look at what it's doing when initializing and see what can fail. 

My guess is that you're writing to the installed directly. Unfortunately this directory is writeable in testing. It is not in production. If you want to write to your database you'll need to copy it to your app data folder.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 1:46 PM
  • Interresting thought.

I did not know that there are different permissions in development vs production. The only file access I do is with the database and I get the folder by using

Windows.Storage.ApplicationData.Current.LocalFolder.Path

like used in very much all SQLite Tutorials I found. Isn't that correct?

If not, how else do I get a proper path? If it's correct, is there anything else you could think of?

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 3:39 PM
  • ApplicationData.Current.LocalFolder is the right place for your application data. The app will have write access there.

See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2859130/ for some other things to look at.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

Okay, I think I made a really dumb error. After checking, I saw that I did not use the Path.Combine but did a simple string concatination which allowed for a second error which was forgetting ".Path".

So my DB path string was (ApplicationData.Current.LocalFolder + "testdb.db") which resulted in "Windows.Storage.StorageFoldertestdb.db", which could be created in the apps current folder in debug, but not in production.

Thanks for your help.

Still wondering why I did not get any report in the Store dashboard.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 10:57 AM