none
Threat Model Tool compatible with Visio 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Visio 2013 installed and the Threat Model Tool is throwing an error dialog stating that it is incompatible with this version.

When will a release or beta of a Visio 2013 compatible Threat Model Tool be available?

Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:26 PM

All replies

• We have not started planning any potential future releases of the SDL Threat Modeling Tool. We recommend using a computer or VM that doesn't have Office or Visio 2013 installed. Running office 2013 and Visio 2010 side-by-side will often lead to situations which each Office version's self-repair feature kicks in.
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:04 AM
  • This does not make any sense to me. I need Visio 2013 for my project other diagrams. Setting up completely different VM\machine just for thread modeling seems overdone. Why would not have compatibility between SDL thread modeling too and Visio 2013?

Prashanth

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:47 PM
  • see first line of the response:

"We have not started planning any potential future releases of the SDL Threat Modeling Tool."

Sounds like the future of the tool itself is in question.

Thanks for the answers.  I too am using this tool and would like it to work with Visio 2013 if another release were to come into the picture.  (or perhaps somebody could post a workaround.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:02 PM
  • We have not started planning any potential future releases of the SDL Threat Modeling Tool. We recommend using a computer or VM that doesn't have Office or Visio 2013 installed. Running office 2013 and Visio 2010 side-by-side will often lead to situations which each Office version's self-repair feature kicks in.

Could someone please explain this to me, as there seems to be a fairly serious disconnect between theory and reality here. Threat modeling is a MAJOR part of the Microsoft SDL, which was generated internally at Microsoft to address the need to integrate security into their SDLC. Now, there are two threat modeling tools, neither of which are current or supported. This makes no sense whatsoever.

Is support for the SDL going away? What is MS doing internally? Does MS use the threat modeling tool? If not, what are you using? Is some other company that MS is in a joint business relationship building some sort of awesome SDL package to purchase? This is absolutely maddening.

If you're not going to support it, release the source code.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 1:01 PM
  • Another request for this.

The lack of support Visio 2013 in the TMT, combined with the inability to run Office 2013 side by side with Visio 2010 basically means you can't upgrade office and continue using this tool (without additional environments/vm's etc, which isn't really viable).

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:19 AM
  • Pinging this thread to keep it going.  

Is there a plan to update the Threat Modeling tool to be compatible with Visio 2013?  My current client (an rather large electronics e/retailer based in Minneapolis) is requesting I build a threat model for an upcoming public-facing website and using this tool would be much better than a bunch of error-prone Word templates, or coming up with my own version in Visio.

As Bryan_Celyn requested earlier, could the source code for this tool get released?  The security community would definitely help support it!  Codeplex or Github would be great!

Thanks!

Jeff

Friday, December 6, 2013 12:21 AM
  • From another angle, what happened to the Visio 2010 Trial? The I need a temporary install of the SDL for training. But the Visio 2010 trial is removed and replaced by Visio 2013. 
    Monday, January 20, 2014 3:28 PM
  • The only MSFT source I could find for the download is MSDN which requires a subscription/$$$.

If you can find the installer file from one of your previous training machines you could burn it to a DVD for future use.  Check the recycle bins on your machines.

Monday, January 20, 2014 4:32 PM
  • Check out the new MS Threat Modeling Tool 2014 that has just been released to public. It doesn't have a dependency on Visio anymore. Also, you should be able to convert your old v3 models into the new format (that will require Visio 2007-2014 though).
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:41 PM
  • Check out the new MS Threat Modeling Tool 2014 that has just been released to public. It doesn't have a dependency on Visio anymore. Also, you should be able to convert your old v3 models into the new format (that will require Visio 2007-2014 though).
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:42 PM