Beginning a report RRS feed

• Question

• User559005402 posted

I am experimenting with the MS report tool for VS2010. When using the wizard to rough out the report, it insists on including at least one field in the values (summary) group. What is the reason for this and is there a way to avoid it? What if the report is already designed, is there a way to delete the unnecessary field?

Thanks

Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:44 PM

Answers

• User1471008070 posted

Hi,

If there is just a list of names and addresses, I think you just need to drag the name and address datafields into value pane.

To your second question, do you want to add a parameter to your report to make the report's records flexible, if that is the case, I think we can achieve this in Local report, please see our team's blog on this FAQ: how to pass the parameter to local report at this link http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlforum/archive/2010/12/21/faq-how-do-i-work-parameters-with-a-local-report.aspx

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, August 5, 2011 3:42 AM

All replies

• User1471008070 posted

Hi,

As you are using Report Wizard to create a report, so you have to select one field in the values, this is by design, if you want to avoid this, you can create the report and dataset seperately, if the report is already designed, we can also delete the unnecessary field, just open your dataset.xsd file then right-click the field name then select Delete.

Thanks,
    Challen Fu 

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 3:31 AM
  • User559005402 posted

You-Hu Fu -

Thank you. If it is by design, I will argue that it is a poor design. Why go to the bother of creating a wizard that is not applicable to all situations? What if the report is just a list of names and addresses? I DID discover that I could avoid the problem by designing the report without the wizard but this is much less convenient. But where is the documentation that instructs us so? Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

On another matter, since you seem to understand the MS report tools, I need for my report to be flexible as to the records it displays so the user can specify what subset he desires. How is this done? With another product I put the SELECT statement into a session variable, but I don't see how to do it with this engine. Any help here will be appreciated as I can't figure out what to modify.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:04 AM
  • User1471008070 posted

Hi,

If there is just a list of names and addresses, I think you just need to drag the name and address datafields into value pane.

To your second question, do you want to add a parameter to your report to make the report's records flexible, if that is the case, I think we can achieve this in Local report, please see our team's blog on this FAQ: how to pass the parameter to local report at this link http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlforum/archive/2010/12/21/faq-how-do-i-work-parameters-with-a-local-report.aspx

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, August 5, 2011 3:42 AM