How do I use a downloaded phpbb template in Expression Web 4? RRS feed

• Question

• Please note that I am using Microsoft Expression Web 4

I am trying to use a phpbb template that I downloaded, but I am having quite a lot of trouble trying to accomplish this. I've watched an instructional video on how to use a template, but that seems to have been a different version than what I am using. Quite honestly, I don't even know where to begin, and the user guide isn't helping me at all.

Can anyone give me the step by step process of what I should do?
    Monday, November 15, 2010 10:42 PM

Answers

• I will take a guess that you are referring to this application: phpBB is a bulletin/discussion board application; it sounds like the template you refer to is intended to be applied within phpBB.  As Bill says, since this is a PHP applicaton, it is not really editable through Expression Web in the normal way HTML pages are because they are not HTML pages as such.

PHP pages don't run in design view (or even in preview in browser) without a web server of some sort - the Development server in EW may suffice, although phpBB uses a database that needs to be configured - if this is beyond your expertise I wouldn't attempt it.

You need to upload the phpBB applications files, run the application/install it, and then using its instructions upload and apply the new theme.

Andrew M

http://www.murraywebs.com

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)
    • Marked as answer by Grahf Tuesday, November 16, 2010 4:23 PM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:34 AM

All replies

• phpBB is not a template like those included with EW. You didn't say what video you watched, whether it was about phpBB or EW, and you don't say what is a 'different version'--phpBB or EW?

You can't open phpBB in EW, that's not how phpBB works. You might be able to edit a few of phpBB's CSS files in EW, but that's about it.

If you're trying to mod phpBB, the source for that information is at their site.

2010 is the 75th anniversary of Schrodinger's Cat. Hmmm...Do I buy a present or not?
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:19 AM
  • I will take a guess that you are referring to this application: phpBB is a bulletin/discussion board application; it sounds like the template you refer to is intended to be applied within phpBB.  As Bill says, since this is a PHP applicaton, it is not really editable through Expression Web in the normal way HTML pages are because they are not HTML pages as such.

PHP pages don't run in design view (or even in preview in browser) without a web server of some sort - the Development server in EW may suffice, although phpBB uses a database that needs to be configured - if this is beyond your expertise I wouldn't attempt it.

You need to upload the phpBB applications files, run the application/install it, and then using its instructions upload and apply the new theme.

Andrew M

http://www.murraywebs.com

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)
    • Marked as answer by Grahf Tuesday, November 16, 2010 4:23 PM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:34 AM
  • Like the others I think you are confusing a servside processed data driven website template with a DWT.

They are not the same and you can't take a PHPBB, ZenCart, WordPress or other server application template and use it directly in Expression Web.

Assuming you have the right to use the PHPBB template for something other than a PHPBB website you will need to save a page from the server that has already had the template applied to find out what mark-up is used where. From there you can back engineer the design to make any modifications you want for your implementation of the template on your site.

Note: this is a non-trivial task and will require an understanding of not only HTML & CSS but also of PHP if you are modifying PHPBB templates for use on a PHPBB site.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:21 PM