none
Bug in Form Unload Event when the form is used in a Navigation Control RRS feed

• Question

• I have a form frm_Test with record source tbl_Test. The table has a field named ID of type Long. The table has 5 records with values of ID = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. The form has a text box bound to the field ID.

In the Form_Unload event, I have this code.

Private Sub Form_Unload(Cancel As Integer)

MsgBox "Unload ID = " & Me!ID

End Sub

I open the form and navigate to the record with ID = 3. Now I close the form and the MsgBox displays

Unload ID = 3

With other words, the values of the controls are properly set to the current record at the time of closing.

Now I use this form as the navigation target in a navigation control. This time, when I close the form, e.g. by navigating away, I get

Unload ID = 1

regardless of what the current record is at the time of closing.

This is a serious bug because it may break existing code, for example, if I want to cancel the closing of the form because some values in the current record are not valid.

Access version: 2016 MSO (16.0.10325.20082) 32-bit

Questions: Can you reproduce this behavior? Does it also occur on other versions of Access?

Workaround: I have to store the values that I want to use in the Unload event in module-wide variables in the Current and AfterUpdate events of the form.

You can download the zipped TestUnload.accdb from OneDrive

Matthias Kläy, Kläy Computing AG

Saturday, August 18, 2018 11:21 AM

All replies

• Now I use this form as the navigation target in a navigation control. This time, when I close the form, e.g. by navigating away, I get

Unload ID = 1

Hi Matthias,

Is Me the expected form? Did you check Me.Name?

Still using A2003 with no experience with navigation controls, I use quite a lot of generalized subforms. To see whether I am referring to the right subform, I use suborm.Name quite a lot in the debug phase.

Imb.

The forum misspelled my name a little bit …

Hi Matthias,

Is Me the expected form? Did you check Me.Name?

Still using A2003 with no experience with navigation controls, I use quite a lot of generalized subforms. To see whether I am referring to the right subform, I use suborm.Name quite a lot in the debug phase.

Imb.

• Edited by Imb-hb Saturday, August 18, 2018 2:15 PM
    Saturday, August 18, 2018 2:11 PM
  • The Me keyword always references the Class in which the code is written. So when the code is behind the form frm_Test in its Unload event, then Me always references frm_Test. No need to check the name.

Matthias Kläy, Kläy Computing AG

Saturday, August 18, 2018 6:41 PM