none
Office Ribbon UI License RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Visual Studios C++ and am creating  an MFC application.  I would like to use the pre-built office ribbon ui, however I saw something about a license.  Do I need to get a license to use the library that comes with Visual Studio?  Also the link on the website doesn't work so I'm unsure of what this license is for.

Thanks,

Friday, July 20, 2012 5:41 PM

All replies

• Hi mg

Could you give us the link to the site in question, please?

FWIW, the Office Ribbon UI can only be used with Office, as part of the Office application to which it belongs. Since the Office application is licensed, if you're programming for Office, there's no problem with your customizing the Ribbon UI for the Office application.

I get the impression, however, that you want something else and that there may be a misunderstanding. There is another kind of Ribbon that's part of the Developer tools. That's not part of Office...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

Saturday, July 21, 2012 2:24 PM
  • This website: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/aa973809.aspx

At the bottom where is says to accept the license terms, the link does not work.

Yes, I'm making an MFC application and wanted to use the Ribbon, the Wizard (I'm using Visual Studios 2010) produces a ribbon but in the comments at the top of the code it mentions the Office UI license. 

Monday, July 23, 2012 4:16 PM
  • OK, I've copied the link below for MS trouble-shooting. I, too, get the "Page not found" message and I suspect it may have something to do with the Office 2013 roll-out. There doesn't seem to be an updated page for it, yet, but perhaps someone pulled the 2010 page too early.

https://profile.microsoft.com/RegSysProfileCenter/wizard.aspx?wizid=ba1e9529-2f08-44e6-a431-38b5d92f8ac1&lcid=1033

We need to leave this message thread unanswered for the Contingent Staff to pick up and check about the link internally. You could also try asking on a site that supports MFC, someone there might know where you can go.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:50 AM
  • Ok, thanks.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 4:51 PM
  • Hi Mg527, 

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I've already report this issue, and you'll be informed if there's any update.

Best regards,
    Quist

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:58 AM