Migration of TFS-2008 Data Migration to TFS-2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I plan to follow the basic migration of TFS-2008 to TFS-2010 where the new TFS-2010 is on a new server. I understand and have several times in the past performed this migration with no major issues. This time around however I have custom Process Templates and custom Work Items to migrate. Although I feel good about performing the migration of all of this I would prefer to do this on the new TFS-2010 Server and test the migration and deal with any issues.

Meanwhile the developers can continue to use the TFS-2008 instance (I know about the date/time stamp issue) and about 1 week later, after I resolve and feel 100% about the TFS-2010 migration I want to pull the plug on TFS-2008 and move them all over to the new instance.

My question is....can I use the same import commands and once again move the TFS-2008 databases, make them TFS-2010 data bases, and have the very latest source code and history along with the latest work items etc.?

Thanks in advance.......

-mpd

Michael Di Fulvio Configuration Management Architect Federal Home Loan Bank of Indianapolis 8250 Woodfield Crossing Blvd. Indianapolis, IN 46240 317.465-0327 317.465.0287 (fax) 954-609-5241 (mobile) e-mail: mdifulvio@fhlbi.com Skype: michael.difulvio

Monday, October 29, 2012 7:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

Thank you for your post.

Seems you want to migrate TFS 2008 database to new TFS 2010 server. You can use Import Command. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff407080(v=vs.100).aspx Before run this command, please read the article, and care about the informaiton, especially following things.

1. To use this command, the databases that you import must be hosted on a server that is running SQL Server 2008, and their names must not include the TFS_ prefix that Team Foundation Server 2010 uses. If your databases are hosted on a server that is running SQL Server 2005, you must first upgrade them to SQL Server 2008 before you can use the Import command.

2. If you have multiple servers for TFS 2008, and migrate them into a single TFS 2010 server, you must run the Import command against each TFS 2008 server separately. The projects from each server on which you run the Import command will be incorporated into a single team project collection.

3. Before run this command, you must back up all your data, if the command fails or you want to roll back the projects to an earlier version of Team Foundation Server, the only way to restore the projects to the earlier version is to restore the databases from a backup that was made before you used the Import command.

I hope this information will help resolve this issue.

If anything is unclear, please free feel to let me know.

Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:15 AM
  • if I remember correctly migrating a TFS 2008 to a new TFS 2010 system by backup & restore the database on the new server and than use the TFS 2010 Wizard to import the TFS 2008 DBs into TFS 2010 does only merge several databases (tfs 2008) into a single database (tfs 2010 TFS collection) converting some internal structures of the database but it does not upgrade process templates or any  existing reports.

Therefore migrating a custom process template should not give special problems as long as older process templates are still useable in TFS 2010.

The only restriction is that some features like hierarchical work items, Lab Management are not available in the migrated database till you manually update the work item to the new format.

Another question, why are you not directly upgrading to TFS 2012 which is now released and which contains some interesting features and which does include support for upgrading older process templates to new features.

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:27 PM
  • I should add that this user is afraid of the new TFS-2012 and prefers the TFS-2010 version as it has been tested in the field longer. Also they only have 32 bit servers so they cannot migrate to TFS-2012 which requires the bigger box.

Thanks to both of you for your help and prompt reply!

----mpd

Michael Di Fulvio Configuration Management Architect Federal Home Loan Bank of Indianapolis 8250 Woodfield Crossing Blvd. Indianapolis, IN 46240 317.465-0327 317.465.0287 (fax) 954-609-5241 (mobile) e-mail: mdifulvio@fhlbi.com Skype: michael.difulvio

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Thank you for your post.

Seems you want to migrate TFS 2008 database to new TFS 2010 server. You can use Import Command. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff407080(v=vs.100).aspx Before run this command, please read the article, and care about the informaiton, especially following things.

1. To use this command, the databases that you import must be hosted on a server that is running SQL Server 2008, and their names must not include the TFS_ prefix that Team Foundation Server 2010 uses. If your databases are hosted on a server that is running SQL Server 2005, you must first upgrade them to SQL Server 2008 before you can use the Import command.

2. If you have multiple servers for TFS 2008, and migrate them into a single TFS 2010 server, you must run the Import command against each TFS 2008 server separately. The projects from each server on which you run the Import command will be incorporated into a single team project collection.

3. Before run this command, you must back up all your data, if the command fails or you want to roll back the projects to an earlier version of Team Foundation Server, the only way to restore the projects to the earlier version is to restore the databases from a backup that was made before you used the Import command.

I hope this information will help resolve this issue.

If anything is unclear, please free feel to let me know.

Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:15 AM
  • Thank you for your prompt reply. I have been able to focus on my root question based on the needs of our migration from TFS-2008 to TFS-2010 and your post. First a couple of facts;

1) I have made a back-up of our TFS-2008 databases and moved a copy over to my TFS-2010 server (Single server instance) where the new SQL Server 2008 is present.

2) What I really would like to do is the following;

. With the TFS-2008 database back-up files on the new TFS-2010 server I want to try the TFS-2010 install on that new server.

. Will the install script ask for the TFS-2008 database files I have on that server?

. If not asked for or taken I would want to run the Import command to have my new TFS-2010 instance and my copies so I can test TFS-2010. In fact I will test the 'out of box' TFS-2010 for some time and then import the TFS-2008 database files (taken about 10 days ago) and see what issues I may have.

. I have work to do with the movement of two custom Process Templates and two updated Work Items.

. Will the TFS-2010 install script move these over at any time?

. I think I can handle this task as I have read up on the issue.

. My root question is at some time after I test the TFS-2010 with my old TFS-2008 database files. I will want to tell the users that I am taking down TFS-2008 and perform the latest and greatest database dump and move to the new TFS-2010 server.

. I want to make very sure that at this future data and time I will be able to stop TFS-2008 processing and once again, run the Import to get my very latest TFS-2008 database files and will already know of the issues and solutions to any custom template migration or anything else so it would not give me any surprises.

I was afraid that I would not be able to go back to the TFS-2008 instance and once again arrange for database back-ups to be done and once again Import them for the final test after I perform the TFS-2010 script.

Thanks in advance....

----mpd

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:31 PM
  • if I remember correctly migrating a TFS 2008 to a new TFS 2010 system by backup & restore the database on the new server and than use the TFS 2010 Wizard to import the TFS 2008 DBs into TFS 2010 does only merge several databases (tfs 2008) into a single database (tfs 2010 TFS collection) converting some internal structures of the database but it does not upgrade process templates or any  existing reports.

Therefore migrating a custom process template should not give special problems as long as older process templates are still useable in TFS 2010.

The only restriction is that some features like hierarchical work items, Lab Management are not available in the migrated database till you manually update the work item to the new format.

Another question, why are you not directly upgrading to TFS 2012 which is now released and which contains some interesting features and which does include support for upgrading older process templates to new features.

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:27 PM
  • I should add that this user is afraid of the new TFS-2012 and prefers the TFS-2010 version as it has been tested in the field longer. Also they only have 32 bit servers so they cannot migrate to TFS-2012 which requires the bigger box.

Thanks to both of you for your help and prompt reply!

----mpd

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:31 PM