Exception: GPU Device Instance has been Suspended RRS feed

• Question

• Occasionally (but not consistently), I see app crashes reported on my MarkedUp log with the following error message:

The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.

So, this is happening in the wild where I have no idea what is happening prior to the crash, and I have never experienced it locally while developing.

Is there anything that a HTML/JS Windows Store app can do to prevent this type of crash?

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:14 PM

All replies

• Hello,

From the following article, it introduces the error code used by COM-based APIs, please check if it exist in your app.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh404141(v=vs.85).aspx

Thanks.

Yanping Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, May 24, 2013 8:30 AM
  • Thanks - I can GoogleBing error codes, too.

But in this case, my app is HTML5/JavaScript, and does not touch COM at all. It does use the Canvas element, but it would be Internet Explorer that does any COM work under the covers.

I guess I was looking for an explanation or guidance surrounding the WinRT app lifecycle with regards to this exception. For example, is there anything I should do special on app suspend of resume if I use the Html 5 canvas element, etc?

Friday, May 24, 2013 10:48 AM
  • Dear Jason :

I have the same situation but without using any element. I write a app follow the example of MSDN's swapchain interop, and sometime the same error message will appear when I resume the app from the system sleep mode.

Did you find the root cause of this problem? Thanks.

(The language is C++ / Xaml )

風胤

Monday, September 23, 2013 7:12 AM
  • I found that when your computer has 2 GPUs which includes a integrated card(like intel HD 4400) and a discrete card, the metro app use the integrated one in default. This will cause some weird problems.
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:34 AM
  • Hi, i am currently having the same issue and i was wondering how you solved yours.
    So far i haven't been able to find any clues as how to solve this problem...

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:37 AM