XAML designer and third party code

Question

• http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vswpfdesigner/thread/bcea4ae0-25ba-4ac5-bd6d-19c59fa2d610 is where I initially posted my problem.

The Windows Store app that I develop uses some third party dlls. The dlls are linked statically, included in the project so that during build they are included in the package and everything works. Except the designer.

The analysis showed that the dll is not copied to the work directory of the designer (C:\Users\jacob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\Designer\ShadowCache\oevgjs3w.fr2\im1rnolk.iu3 in my case). Therefore the LoadLibrary("myapp.dll") fails with the code STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND. I tried to add the dlls to the system path, it doesn't work either: the path to search dlls seems to be restricted:

0cfc:0ce0 @ 22594701 - LdrpComputeLazyDllPath - INFO: Packaged DLL search path computed. Package Dirs: C:\Users\jacob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\Designer\ShadowCache\oevgjs3w.fr2\im1rnolk.iu3;C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.110.00.Debug_11.0.50929.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe, DllPath: C:\Users\jacob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\Designer\ShadowCache\oevgjs3w.fr2\im1rnolk.iu3;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

During run time everything works well.

According to the blog http://www.expressionblend.com/articles/2012/04/19/mysteries-of-xdesproc-revealed/#more-857,

Specifically, we create a design-time AppContainer package and manifest that is separate from the runtime version. While the manifest and package are design-time specific, the user code in the package is identical to the runtime code.

In my case, the user code is not identical.

What should I do about it?

Thank you.

Iakov

Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:40 PM

Answers

• Thank you for response. I have already found the workaround:

to move all the third party-related code to the separate WinRT component. In my case it is perfectly possible.

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:39 PM

All replies

• Could you please send me a small repro offline at unnir at Microsoft dot com and I can try to help find a workaround?

Thanks!

Unni Ravindranathan, Program Manager, Visual Studio and Blend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, November 12, 2012 7:21 AM
  • Thank you for response. I have already found the workaround:

to move all the third party-related code to the separate WinRT component. In my case it is perfectly possible.

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:39 PM