none
Not working applications when Framework 3.5 installed RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings all,

My question is Net Framework 3.5 related but my apology if I posted into the wrong place

If so, please advise where I should post

I always had “all Frameworks installed and updated and had no problems with any applications, which are using them.

http://c.imagehost.org/t/0993/FrameworksInstalled.jpg

Recently I installed 3.5 with SP1 as part of Visual Basic Express 2008.

What I noticed that some programs stop working. The symptom is - when envoking them either from shortcut or exe in base directory they won’t start. The cursor will change to hourglass for a short period of time … and that’s it.

Investigating the problem with Process Mmonitor (Sysinternals) I found that those apps are using Framework 2.

What I tried was just uninstalling Framework 3.5. And those apps are back to life.

Following installation of 3.5 kills them dead

Few examples of such applications:

Cropper http://blogs.geekdojo.net/brian/articles/Cropper.aspx

CDburnerXP http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Thanks in advance for any ideas

My regards

Saturday, September 13, 2008 8:57 AM

Answers

• I just use Cropper on my Windows 2003 with .NET Framework 3.5 sp1 installed without problems.

What is your environment details?
    Does any other .NET application work well?
    Can you see the .exe in the task manager list after running the applications?

Thanks.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vssetup/thread/60424309-bd78-4ca2-b618-03c4a16123b6
    • Marked as answer by vbCat Monday, September 15, 2008 4:17 AM
    Monday, September 15, 2008 3:18 AM
  • I would suggest you to reboot Windows to safemode disable all the anti-Virus or anti-Spyware, to see if there is any problem.

Also try the following steps to disable non-Microsoft windows services to eliminate the potential problems:
    1. Click on the Start menu, choose Run, type msconfig and click OK
    2. In the System Configuration tool, click on the Services tab
    3. Check the box labeled Hide all Microsoft services
    4. Click the Disable All button to disable all non-Microsoft services
    5. In the System Configuration tool, click on the General tab
    6. Click the Selective startup radio button
    7. Uncheck the box labeled Load startup items
    8. Click OK to accept all changes in the System Configuration tool
    9. Reboot for the changes to take effect

*To config it back, please re-run the System Configuration tool and re-enable the services that you disabled in step 4 above

Thanks
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vssetup/thread/60424309-bd78-4ca2-b618-03c4a16123b6
    • Edited by Figo Fei Monday, September 15, 2008 4:50 AM add steps
    • Marked as answer by vbCat Monday, September 15, 2008 1:03 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2008 4:47 AM

All replies

• I just use Cropper on my Windows 2003 with .NET Framework 3.5 sp1 installed without problems.

Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by vbCat Monday, September 15, 2008 4:17 AM
    Monday, September 15, 2008 3:18 AM
  • Figo Fei said:

I just use Cropper on my Windows 2003 with .NET Framework 3.5 sp1 installed without problems.

Thanks.

Hi Figo Fei,

Thank you for reply.

I added environment info to profile but unfortunately it doesn't show up here as in usual signatures (?):

XP Pro SP3, all Frameworks with SPs installed recently installed VB Express 2008 + Framework 3.5 SP1

Please tell if some other details needed.

Answering your questions:

It seems like all apps not using framework 2 are ok.
    VB Express working itself. I can develop but it has problem with publishing, which I raised in VB Express forum "Unable to read manifest" (most likely not related but I can supply the link if necessary)

Using Sysinternals ProcessExplore I can see 2 mentioned applications appearing during their start-up for a very short time. Then they go red and disappear from ProcessExplorer's list.

As it was pointed simply uninstalling Framework 3.5 brings apps to life and installing back kills them.

Either uninstall/install 3.5 goes flawlessly without any Errors.

My regards
    • Edited by vbCat Monday, September 15, 2008 4:38 AM
    Monday, September 15, 2008 4:32 AM
  • I would suggest you to reboot Windows to safemode disable all the anti-Virus or anti-Spyware, to see if there is any problem.

Also try the following steps to disable non-Microsoft windows services to eliminate the potential problems:
    1. Click on the Start menu, choose Run, type msconfig and click OK
    2. In the System Configuration tool, click on the Services tab
    3. Check the box labeled Hide all Microsoft services
    4. Click the Disable All button to disable all non-Microsoft services
    5. In the System Configuration tool, click on the General tab
    6. Click the Selective startup radio button
    7. Uncheck the box labeled Load startup items
    8. Click OK to accept all changes in the System Configuration tool
    9. Reboot for the changes to take effect

*To config it back, please re-run the System Configuration tool and re-enable the services that you disabled in step 4 above

Thanks
    • Edited by Figo Fei Monday, September 15, 2008 4:50 AM add steps
    • Marked as answer by vbCat Monday, September 15, 2008 1:03 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2008 4:47 AM
  • Hi Figo Fei,

Thanks again for responding.

The Save Mode and Disabling all my security properly (I know how to do that no services of those are running 100%)
    done to no avail.

As for msconfig, sorry I know that one too.
    It is highly unrecommended  to disable startups and services with it.
    Sorry, I am  not diminishing your knowledge or something and I appreciate your advice but I am not doing that.
    I have 57 services disabled currently and my system is working perfectly. Re-enabling services as described will re-enable ALL. The poor thing (msconfig) is not saving what was disabled.
    It is faster for me (takes few minutes) on this fast PC to uninstal/reinstall 3.5 if desperately need so, than ruin the system with msconfig.

Well, those applications I mentioned are not very  important. I can live like that for a while until solution found.
    I was just reporting the incidents because there could be other similar cases with more vital Framework 2.0 aware applications.

My regards

******* Edit
    I'd rather add new post because some may've read this one
    • Edited by vbCat Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:41 AM
    Monday, September 15, 2008 1:25 PM
  • Greetings all,

This is in addition to my previous post.

That's what I found.

1) Framework 3.5 SP1 uninstalled

2) sure my Framework 2.0 applications came alive as it was stated above

3) got an idea and downloaded Framework 3.5 redistributable (important !!! no SP1)

4) 3.5 installed all frameworks applications tested and working

5) sp1 (dotnetfx35setup) downloaded and installed ... here we go!... the said apps. are dead

Conclusion:
    have a look at sp1, Guys - something is fishy there  :-)

My regards

P.S. ******Added *******
    I went for a hunt of Software I have installed, which uses Framework 2
    and sure found another one (see requirements below) I am (was) using it as on demand scanner. I wanted to upgrade it to the new v1.9 so, I ran it ... Guess what?
    Quote:
    Hazard Shield description. Remove harmful malware quickly and safely!
    Hazard Shield is a fast, reliable antimalware program .....

Requirements: .NET framework 2.0

• Edited by vbCat Tuesday, September 16, 2008 4:09 PM info added
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:52 AM
  • Hi Guys,

I'm just wondering if there any news regarding SP1 of Framework 3.5 breaking Framework 2 Applications.

As for now I did all by the book and followed all suggestions regarding clearing, reinstallations and so on.

The only way for me to run mentioned applications is - uninstalling 3.5 run and the install it back...
    or I can install just 3.5 (from redistributable) without SP1... but as you know Express 2008 will not function with such setup.

I am compelled to do so and that is ridicules.

My regards
    • Edited by vbCat Sunday, September 28, 2008 12:25 AM spelling
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 12:23 AM