none
Smart tags are not recognized in windows7, but by installing .net1.1 smart tags working why ? RRS feed

• Question

•   

Hi , 

I used below mentioned article to create the smart tags. My shared addin was implemented by using ISmartTagRecognizer,ISmartTagAction Interfaces. [.Net Frame work 3.5]. This dll is designed to support both outlook 2003 and 2007 and 2010 versions.

Referenced Link:Tutorial: Creating a List Recognizer and Action [Office 2003 SDK Documentation]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa168702(v=office.11).aspx

Issue with this approach: Smart tags are not getting recognized in window7 OS machine. In win7 [.net3.5 + 2010 outlook] machine I need to display my SmartTag, I used caspol.exe for providing security. But with this approach I need to install .net1.1 on win7 machine which is not a good idea. 

Work around Provided: By installing .Net 1.1 framework, Smart tags are getting recognized in windows7.

Please help in resolving the issue without installing .Net 1.1 in win7

Monday, April 2, 2012 11:10 AM

Answers

• Hi, Chandu

This is by design.  As the Office 2007 OM depends on .NET 1.1 runtime, you will need .NET 1.1 runtime.  Since your addin targets Office 2003 as well, please double check Office OM runtime version. You can find the object model runtime information below.

At the same time, to detect CLR runtime installed on a computer, you can run command: clrver in VS command line.

best regards,

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Thursday, April 5, 2012 2:17 PM
  • Hi Chandu,

Not exactly. What I mean is the interop assembly we referenced in project requires certain .NET runtime.  Excel interop 12.0 requires .NET runtime version 1.1, Excel interop 14.0 requires 2.0.

Office primary inerop assembly(PIA) is .NET wrapper to Office object model, so .NET runtime of certain version is required.  As I referenced above, you can use Add Reference dialog to check them.

I think it's required to *have*.NET 1.1 runtime to run smart tags developed using Office 2003 SDK. According to this msdn article,

• Microsoft Office 2003
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
    • Full trust permission for the managed-code smart tag DLL
    • The managed-code smart tag DLL registered using its fully qualified class name, which is Namespace.ClassName in
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common\Smart Tag\Recognizers\<Namespace.ClassName> and
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common\Smart Tag\Actions\<Namespace.ClassName>.

best regards,

Monday, April 9, 2012 2:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Chandu,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'm not family with the Smart tags, I will involve some experts into this issue to see whether they can help you. There might be some time delay, appreciate for your patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:37 AM
  • Hi, Chandu

This is by design.  As the Office 2007 OM depends on .NET 1.1 runtime, you will need .NET 1.1 runtime.  Since your addin targets Office 2003 as well, please double check Office OM runtime version. You can find the object model runtime information below.

At the same time, to detect CLR runtime installed on a computer, you can run command: clrver in VS command line.

best regards,

Thursday, April 5, 2012 2:17 PM
  • Hi, I mark the answer, please check it.

best regards,

Monday, April 9, 2012 1:57 AM
  • Hi Forrest,

I'm little bit confused here, with the above info what I understood is that to run any office addin we need .Net 1.1 runtime.... Is that correct?                       

But I'm not installing .Net 1.1 in any client machine to run my outlook addin developed by using vsto (I have 2 versions 2003 addin and 2007 addin ) and this is working fine without any issues. [In this case why outlook addin is working without .Net 1.1]

But only for smart tags I forced to install .Net 1.1 in few machines only. And in some machines its working fine (I don't know why :-) ).

Do I need to install .Net 1.1 runtime in any OS (xp/vista/win7) to run smart tags developed by using Office 2003 SDK Documentation?

I need more info on this. Pls Clarify.

Thanks.

Monday, April 9, 2012 11:38 AM
  • Hi Chandu,

Not exactly. What I mean is the interop assembly we referenced in project requires certain .NET runtime.  Excel interop 12.0 requires .NET runtime version 1.1, Excel interop 14.0 requires 2.0.

Office primary inerop assembly(PIA) is .NET wrapper to Office object model, so .NET runtime of certain version is required.  As I referenced above, you can use Add Reference dialog to check them.

I think it's required to *have*.NET 1.1 runtime to run smart tags developed using Office 2003 SDK. According to this msdn article,

• Microsoft Office 2003
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
    • Full trust permission for the managed-code smart tag DLL
    • The managed-code smart tag DLL registered using its fully qualified class name, which is Namespace.ClassName in
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common\Smart Tag\Recognizers\<Namespace.ClassName> and
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common\Smart Tag\Actions\<Namespace.ClassName>.

best regards,

Monday, April 9, 2012 2:02 PM