Any plans for Database To DGML Dependencies Graphs? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been playing with DGML and have written a simple utility for generation of a DGML model representation of any SQL database (not 100% accurate but I did only spend a few hours on it) and was wondering is there anything in the Microsoft pipeline to do this?  Especially linked to the  new .dbproj visual studio projects.

In my opinion a DGML graph representation of a database using the grouping aspects to allow dynamic expanding of database then schemas, then tables and then fields is far better that the SQL Server 2008 database diagrams (especially as it gives you a default layout that is far more sensible and doesn't need dragging around to fit on a page).

FYI, in my example I utilised the categorisation to have groups such as "Field" & "Field Optional" & "Field Primary Key" etc to allow easy visual differences to be shown (such as background / textual colour changes) also utilised the description attributes to give you field details such as type=bigint etc...

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:45 AM

Answers

• Hi, great question, and I'm super excited that you've discovered the real value of automatic graph layout and user defined styles that make all kinds of data really come alive.  This is high on our list of future DGML providers, and we've prototyped a few things, but we have no firm product plans around this yet.  We are also evaluating XAML, JScript, F#, and other languages.  But SQL is high on the list, being such a mission critical language. 

In the meantime I would love to see what you have done so far.  Perhaps you could start a codeplex project and get some community development going.

Note: you can add <Node Id="MyColumn" SqlType="bigint"/> and then you can add a property definition for SqlType that makes it browsable, so it shows up in the tooltip.  You don't need to embed this information in a "Description" attribute, unless you want to do that for some other reason.  Nice thing about making it a first class property is that you can then style those also.

PS: Good timeing, I just posted a new video on DGML with Style maybe there are some new tricks in there that you can try also, if you haven't already discovered them.

Chris.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:16 AM

All replies

• Hi, great question, and I'm super excited that you've discovered the real value of automatic graph layout and user defined styles that make all kinds of data really come alive.  This is high on our list of future DGML providers, and we've prototyped a few things, but we have no firm product plans around this yet.  We are also evaluating XAML, JScript, F#, and other languages.  But SQL is high on the list, being such a mission critical language. 

In the meantime I would love to see what you have done so far.  Perhaps you could start a codeplex project and get some community development going.

Note: you can add <Node Id="MyColumn" SqlType="bigint"/> and then you can add a property definition for SqlType that makes it browsable, so it shows up in the tooltip.  You don't need to embed this information in a "Description" attribute, unless you want to do that for some other reason.  Nice thing about making it a first class property is that you can then style those also.

PS: Good timeing, I just posted a new video on DGML with Style maybe there are some new tricks in there that you can try also, if you haven't already discovered them.

Chris.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:16 AM
  • Thanks for the response and am keen to look at the DGML with style but your link gives a 404 page not found.

Thanks also for the codeplex suggestion - will look into this to share and personally keen to progress, but working for one of the worlds leading legal information providers means I need to check legality of me doing this as it does have a potential work dependancy first :).

-Paul.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:34 PM
  • I fixed Chris's link. Please try it now. Thanks! :)
    Esther Fan | VS Visualization and Modeling Tools, Content Lead | If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post. Thanks!
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:39 PM
  • Thanks for fixing.

Also as per Chris's suggestion you can now see my quick DB to DGML application at:

http://dbtodgml.codeplex.com/

If anyone is interested in progressing this to put in some development effort (more than just an hour) possibly adding in the style aspects (and to make it more complete) please let me know.  FYI, V1 is as is not taking in the sqlType suggestion.

-Paul.

Friday, July 23, 2010 8:23 AM