Rebuilding a SQL instance - restoring SMK etc RRS feed

• Question

• (Mods: This is a reference to a post on another forum. I'm posting it here because I'd appreciate the insight of the security experts here on my plan. I couldn’t work out where to post this, as it touches on several topics (DR/availability, replication, security, etc etc), but if this forum is explicitly not the place for it then please do move it somewhere more appropriate.)

We have a SQL2005 SP2 server, serverA, which needs bigger discs and the OS upgrading from Win2000 to Win2003.

To do this we’re going to wipe the machine, put new discs in, reinstall the new OS and then reinstall SQL. An in-place upgrade of the discs and OS has been ruled out as inconsistent with the rest of our servers.

I’ve planned out how the SQL part will done (the hardware and OS is handled by our server guys).

I’d appreciate any comments on my plan below, specifically any areas that I may have missed or false assumptions that I’m making.

1. All server-wide objects will be scripted out to file
    2. The Service Master Key will be restored onto the new instance after reinstall
    3. Databases will be detached prior to the reinstall, and then attached to the new SQL instance after the reinstall

For full details of my plan, or to post comments, please see my full posting here: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3907533&SiteID=1
    Please don't follow up to the post in this forum as it'll be confusing! Smile

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:35 AM