none
Why is there no background? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Please take a look at noBackground.docx.  The cells of the table have no color background, however in document.xml, the table style specifies shading of the color B3B3B3:

<w:tblPr>
        <w:tblW w:w="10152" w:type="dxa"/>
        <w:tblInd w:w="-905" w:type="dxa"/>
        <w:tblBorders>
            <w:top w:val="single" w:sz="4" w:space="0" w:color="auto"/>
            <w:left w:val="single" w:sz="4" w:space="0" w:color="auto"/>
            <w:bottom w:val="single" w:sz="4" w:space="0" w:color="auto"/>
            <w:right w:val="single" w:sz="4" w:space="0" w:color="auto"/>
            <w:insideH w:val="single" w:sz="4" w:space="0" w:color="auto"/>
            <w:insideV w:val="single" w:sz="4" w:space="0" w:color="auto"/>
        </w:tblBorders>
        <w:shd w:val="clear" w:color="auto" w:fill="B3B3B3"/>
        <w:tblLook w:val="01E0" w:firstRow="1" w:lastRow="1" w:firstColumn="1" w:lastColumn="1" w:noHBand="0" w:noVBand="0"/>
    </w:tblPr>

There is no override for shading in any of the row or cell properties and the "AD" style that some cells are based off of doesn't specify shading either.  Which property/value permits the white background for the cells?

Thanks,

Connor

Thursday, June 29, 2017 4:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Connor,

Thanks for your patience as we confirmed the results of our investigation. 

As suspected, what you are encountering is an instance of the scenario described in the following forum posting: w:shd ignored in tblPr,

The details of the issue are that Word ignores the w:shd child element in the w:tablPr element, if present. Word uses either the shading applied in the table style, or the w:shd element applied to individual cells.  

Sincerely

Will Gregg | open specifications

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 8:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Connor:

I have alerted the open specifications team regarding your inquiry. A member of the team will be in touch soon.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Thursday, June 29, 2017 8:44 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Connor,

Thanks for posting your question about table borders and the associated OOXML. I will be working on your question for you. 

To assist in my investigation would it be possible for you to email me the source DOCX file? If so, please email the file to dochelp@microsoft.com and just mention that the document is for me. 

I will reply back with the results of my investigation.

Sincerely,
    Will Gregg  | open specifications

Thursday, June 29, 2017 10:05 PM
  • Yes, sorry I didn't realize I put in the wrong hyperlink.  I just sent it off.  Thanks for the help!

Connor

Friday, June 30, 2017 2:55 PM
  • Hi all,

I just wanted to check in to see if there are any updates regarding the background behavior of the template.

Thanks,

Connor

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 4:03 PM
  • Hi Connor,

Thanks for your patience. I am still confirming our investigation; which should be completed by the end of the week. 

What our investigation has determined are 2 details occurring in your example

1. As documented in MS-OI29500 2.1.141 Part 1 Section 17.4.30, shd (Table Shading Exception)

The standard states that table shading is applied to cells in the table.

Word applies table shading only to the cell spacing of the table.

The w:space="0" usage may be causing Word to treat the cell as having no space to render the shading. 

2. As previously indicated in another forum post related to this topic: w:shd ignored in tblPr, Word ignores w:shd in tablPr and uses the shading specified within the core table style.

As I mentioned, I am working on confirming our investigation findings and will get back to you with a formal confirmation.

Sincerely

• Edited by Will GreggModerator Thursday, July 6, 2017 8:09 PM Added some context to first point
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 2:54 PM
  • Hi Connor,

Thanks for your patience as we confirmed the results of our investigation. 

As suspected, what you are encountering is an instance of the scenario described in the following forum posting: w:shd ignored in tblPr,

The details of the issue are that Word ignores the w:shd child element in the w:tablPr element, if present. Word uses either the shading applied in the table style, or the w:shd element applied to individual cells.  

Sincerely

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 8:30 PM