Database Backup and Restoration taking long time rather than expected in SQL Server 2008 SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have installed Sql Server 2008 cluster having window server 2008 R2 enterprise with sp1 and SQL Server 2008 sp3.

Server has 128 GB RAM and quard-core processor.

After completion of cluster configuration, sql server is working fine.

Now according to our requirement, we required to shift around 200 databases from old sql server 2008 cluster to new sql server 2008 cluster. To shift all databases to new sql server 2008, we copied all user databases with system databases to new sql server 2008 sp3 and then restarted sql services and all databases came online and working properly.

But after doing this,  on new sql server 2008 , databases activities like Backup and restoration taking long time......

Pls suggest me what to do to improve sql server performance... ?

Mark As Answer If My Reply Is Helpful
    Thanks
    Neeraj Bhandari (MCTS - Sql Server 2008)

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:09 AM

Answers

• restoration generally take time to complete. what is your previous version of SQL Server,  did you check the disk I/Ops of your new Clustered SQL Server,

Ramesh Babu Vavilla MCTS,MSBI

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:47 AM
  • 1) Where you are taking backup on disk or tape? Must ensure that you are using diffrent disk for backups other than disk having database files

2) Enable trace DBCC TRACEON (3004, 3605, -1) & perform backup & restore. Now your SQL server error log file has detailed entries about backup & restore opearation, just analyze them

3) I prefer below Update statistics & Dbcc checkdb after such migrations, try to do the same

4) compare disk I/O of both disk (old & new server)

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)
    This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:08 AM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:13 PM

All replies

• restoration generally take time to complete. what is your previous version of SQL Server,  did you check the disk I/Ops of your new Clustered SQL Server,

Ramesh Babu Vavilla MCTS,MSBI

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:47 AM
  • 1) Where you are taking backup on disk or tape? Must ensure that you are using diffrent disk for backups other than disk having database files

2) Enable trace DBCC TRACEON (3004, 3605, -1) & perform backup & restore. Now your SQL server error log file has detailed entries about backup & restore opearation, just analyze them

3) I prefer below Update statistics & Dbcc checkdb after such migrations, try to do the same

4) compare disk I/O of both disk (old & new server)

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)
    This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:08 AM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:13 PM
  • Hi...

Thanks for support..

I have checked DISK I/O on new clustered server and found that data read and write is very slow. i have asked storage team about this issue and once it is resolved then i will check disk I/O again.....

Mark As Answer If My Reply Is Helpful
    Thanks
    Neeraj Bhandari (MCTS - Sql Server 2008)

Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:01 AM