Metro Styled UI for Desktop Apps [e.g. vs12] RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone!
    Well This is my first question asked on these msdn forums.
    Let's take example of Office 2013, Visual Studio 12. You'll notice these are "Desktop Apps" created to run on desktop environment [Win32 i mean] but their "Look & Feel" is exactly like metro. What i mean is the icons, control box, window border etc. are all metro-fied. Now i know icons etc. are custom made but what about The UI?? the control boxes and window border?? I really need to know how can i create these? :S I've currently some knowledge of vb.net so do i have to learn another language? [which one] I also know that they are 3rd Party Controls to give this Look&Feel but they're not 100% identical like MS Desktop Apps :/ What 3rd Party program does Microsoft use??

Please answer my question cause i really wanna make a "metro-like" desktop app [since WinRT is not so capable and i don't have the money+time to have a developer account]

P.S Mind me for I'm not really sure if I chose the correct Category/Forum :)
    Friday, July 20, 2012 2:07 PM

Answers

• Hello! You can use Elysium.
    • Marked as answer by hary10000 Saturday, May 4, 2013 7:09 PM
    Friday, May 3, 2013 2:00 AM
  • Hi Haaris,

C++ with some UI libraries that may provide the Metro UI theme and skin.

.Net with WPF that can design Metro looking, and many third party projects that provide the themes for doing it. Such as http://chronoswpf.codeplex.com/

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by hary10000 Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:14 PM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:15 AM

All replies

• Hi hary10000,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

From your words, I find you are interesting in Metro style apps.

I will recommend you a video about the WinRT which you will know better about it.

You will find the link here:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/PLAT-875T

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]

Monday, July 23, 2012 6:02 AM
  • Well thankyou for the reply well the link you gave actually is a video more about WinRT apps! but i dont want to create a WinRT app!

I want to create a Win32 app in other words: "Not a metro app, but looks like metro app" 

Again, I'll give a very good example: the new ms office 2013. It isn't WinRT right? because if it was how could it run on windows 7??

If u want ican simplify my question: "How to create a program with design like ms office 2013 & runs on Windows 7 i.e. Win32" 

• Edited by hary10000 Monday, July 23, 2012 11:55 AM Format/Grammer Fix
    Monday, July 23, 2012 11:52 AM
  • Hi hary10000,

Some programs look like metro apps because they have the similar design style.

You can also create a program looks like a metro app.

It just a style. You can draw a style of your program like it.

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 7:48 AM
  • Okay so you mean that all metro looking desktop apps are created using custom design :)

One very last question!: Which programming language will be most appropriate for metro-design desktop apps? And if possible any links to the documentation/help of that language 

Regrads, 
    Haaris
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:16 AM
  • Hi Haaris,

C++ with some UI libraries that may provide the Metro UI theme and skin.

.Net with WPF that can design Metro looking, and many third party projects that provide the themes for doing it. Such as http://chronoswpf.codeplex.com/

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by hary10000 Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:14 PM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:15 AM
  • Thanks a lot! :)

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:14 PM
  • Hello! You can use Elysium.
    • Marked as answer by hary10000 Saturday, May 4, 2013 7:09 PM
    Friday, May 3, 2013 2:00 AM