none
Where can I find a simple Visual Basic language reference? RRS feed

• Question

• My Office 2016 VBA help keeps sending me to the Developer Network page for Access. I'm sure what I am looking for is here somewhere, but I can't find it. What the %@## ever happened to books? Microsoft even stopped doing the help file that was laid out like a book.

I learned from books, how to program in:

BASIC

BASICA

Pascal

C++

Assembler

This was in the mids 80s to late 90s when there was no longer an use for DOS programming. My primary learning tool (except for BASIC), was the printed manual that came with the development software or PDF files. It would be so easy to learn Visual Basic IF I COULD ONLY FIND A QUICK REFERENCE LIST. Am I so old that I am the only living programmer to remember those super useful reference sheets? Or am I just to only one to stupid to find that information here?

VBA help keeps sending me to a page titled "Access VBA Reference". Am I just silly to be expecting a VBA reference sheet just because the page title is "Access VBA reference"?

Can anyone point me to a simple Visual Basic language reference?

Friday, December 29, 2017 7:28 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hope it may help below link.

http://www.vbtutor.net/index.php/visual-basic-2017-tutorial/

Friday, December 29, 2017 7:40 AM
  • Can anyone point me to a simple Visual Basic language reference?

You are probably referring to Visual Basic for Applications:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba/vba-language-reference

You will also need the object model reference for your VBA implementation.  For instance, for Access:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba/access-vba/articles/object-model-access-vba-reference

VBA questions should be asked at : Visual Basic for Applications  (VBA)

Friday, December 29, 2017 7:43 AM
  • In addition to Acamar,

If you talk about VB than you talk in fact about 3 program languages who got their name from Marketing guys. 

In VBS (Visual Basic Script) the Visual Part is nothing

In VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) it is more but still very contracted together

Visual Basic (VB1 to VB15) is more than a program language a tool, which can almost not be used without Visual Studio

Since version VB7, that VB has almost no major language changes anymore. Before that time it was changing with every version, although the language part from VB1 can still be used in VB15.

All those 3 are deriving from Basic a student language which got more versions. VB is based on the version Microsoft made from it with MS-Dos and then marketing guys gave it at a certain moment its current name "Visual" to distinct it from others while they did not use the word Microsoft. 

I also remember me the reference cards, but in those days the languages where mainly existing from Keywords. Currently the major part of VB is .Net (and before VB) the Win32 API's

To understand the .Net languages from Microsoft (VB, C#, Managed C++ and F#) you would have more from a reference card about.Net. But that is so huge that it would never fit on one sheet. 

The simplest way to find a reference of that,  is searching for that with the word "method" or "Class" in it with a search engine. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/get-started/overview

Success Cor

Friday, December 29, 2017 8:42 AM
  • Reading my own message over, than probably a page like this would fit to your question.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/visual-basic/language-reference/keywords/

Success Cor

Friday, December 29, 2017 9:52 AM
  • Hi askgomini,

Thanks for your response. Sorry to be so long getting back to you, I just realized today when I came to check for responses, that I hadn't checked the "Alert" box. I was wondering why no one was responding...

The link you provided is interesting, but it is going to take more than just a skimming to find what I am looking for. Cor provided the answer on 12/29 (if only I had set the alerts on. :/).

Aside from my PC programming experience, I spent nearly 2 decades programming CNC milling machines. I don't need to learn basics. All programming is similar. Even many key words and the calling syntax, I am finding out. I need a reference that shows ALL key words and their calling syntax.

Have a great day!

Mike

Monday, January 8, 2018 4:12 AM
  • Thank you for your response Acamar. I'm sorry to be so slow responding, I apparently didn't tell the system to "Alert" me to responses. I've spent the last week thinking it was one of those times where everyone had no idea where to find such a thing. I looked for hours before posting  my question and wasn't able to find one. I thought that was just one more thing Microsoft doesn't supply with their products, like books and PDF files.

I am actually referring to Visual Basic, you know the beast, it comes with Visual Studio. During December, I found so many reduced software prices, that I purchased 2 copies of Office 2016 (I had been using Office 2003 for nearly a decade, but mainly used Excel), 2 copies of Visual Studios 2015, and a copy of Windows 10 Pro. How I got there is a long story involving finally deciding to learn VBA, and finding those other deals on new copies while looking for bargains on used versions.

I am still working on my database and find myself wishing Mickysoft still provided at least a PDF file containing keywords and syntax, like the good old days. I personally prefer books, but a PDF file makes me happier than constant trips to MSDN. I prefer my help offline!

But, since there is apparently NOT an offline choice available, I'm going with the URL that Cor provided 12/29/17 @ 9:52. It is not an offline reference, but it is the next best thing.

Thanks again,

Mike.

Monday, January 8, 2018 4:31 AM
  • Cor, if I had taken the time to figure out emojis, I'd be giving you fireworks, noisemakers, and streamers. I REALLY prefer bound paper books. Failing that, I'll live with a PDF reference. Failing that as well, a direct URL is the next best thing.

I absolutely HATE having to go online for every little thing. In the late 80s and early 90s, I thought computers were the best thing to ever happen. Computers were fun. I was one of the few people that anyone I knew would turn to for help. I enjoyed programming, just for the fun of it. Over time we got too many bad guys haunting the internet and too many government regulations for "My own good". Computers were the best hobby ever!!!

Hackers, the U.S. government, and ID theft have all made me extraordinarily cautious about spending too much time online. To that end, I use both a VPN and an IP scrambling proxy server and I felt pretty safe. Then the NSA had their most secure and effective spy software hacked. Equifax got hacked and had personal info on MILLIONS of Americans stolen. Kaspersky anti-virus got used to hack into government computers and steal everything the AV software could give them, which is considerable. Russians got Trump elected through hacking and divisive ads on social media and both twitter and facebook waited until after the election was over and the FBI found out about the ads to even say anything about it. And, of course, let's not forget the North Koreans and the WannaCry virus.

With a paranoia level as high as I have, when I am not needing the Internet on 2 of my 3 computers, they get unplugged. I don't use a wireless router. So you see, this is why I call myself ItsMyNightmare. I have no choice but to go online for my programming help.

Btw, are you old enough to know the actual origins of BASIC? Or even why it is called BASIC (notice the all caps, it was always in all caps until Visual Basic came along and Microsoft wanted to distance themselves from the original. It was a usable programming language, but it had tremendous overhead in the form of an interpreter and promoted sloppy, spaghetti code. MS wanted to retain the original target programmers, but appeal to structured programmers. The reason it was in all caps is it stood for:

Basic, All purpose, Symbolic Instruction Code

Just a fun fact...

Thank you again for the link. I'd have gotten back to you earlier, but I apparently didn't click "Alert".

Mike

Monday, January 8, 2018 5:09 AM
  • Basic, All purpose, Symbolic Instruction Code

Close, but not quite.  http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/B/BASIC.html

Monday, January 8, 2018 7:44 AM
  • You're right. I knew that. Gates wouldn't have used the word "basic" as part of name. My bad. I guess my memory may be slipping (Don't know why, I'm only 63)

Have a good day,

Mike

Monday, January 8, 2018 7:01 PM
  • Acamar,

I just read the entire page from the link you provided above and am shocked to find BASIC wasn't actually Bill Gates invention. The hoopla about him wanting to sell HIS BASIC for their computers and them telling him if he could provide an operating system, they would also take BASIC, made me think he was the originator. I should have realized, after all, he basically (pun intended) stole DOS. He wasn't the good person back them that he ended up being.

I guess I'm not to old to learn something new. ;)

Mike

Monday, January 8, 2018 7:10 PM
  • Yes, Mike, I'm with you.  I like printed manuals, hate ebooks with a vengeance.  I print everything out. 

I started programming back in 1975 using BASIC on a TRS80 with tapes, moved on to Commodore 64 on disks, and then to IBM BASICA.  From there, my long-time favorite, QBASIC.   I went on to Visual Basic 5 and 6 from there, and then to dotNET.  

I like books, and have a vast collection of programming books, which are currently weighing down my attic.  I retired last year and am no longer teaching, but textbooks are still available if you want to go that way.  Try the educational publishers or go to a college bookstore to see what's available.  Check out Addison Wesley, McGraw Hill, Pearson, Course Technology, Wiley, Cengage, SAMS, Murach, Apress, O'Reilly, etc.  Good luck.

PS:  I actually retired in 1996 from my full-time grade-school teaching position, but spent the next 20 years teaching computer programming part-time at a local college.   I'm mostly self-taught (from books)!

Solitaire

• Edited by Solitaire Monday, January 8, 2018 8:19 PM
    Monday, January 8, 2018 7:59 PM
  • Hi Solitaire,

I'm too am self taught. I have been looking at text books. It seems to be the only place to get such information. I just wish wish text books didn't start at $100.

I also have a plethora of programming books, with one full size book rack full of Turbo Pascal, C, C++ and assembly language books. I was just getting into ASM heavily when the Pentium CPU made all my books on interrupt calls good only for doorstops. I have been trying to find an equivalent book on the modern processors, but apparently, I need to belong to the right tribe to get tribal knowledge passed down to me.

I also have even more PDF files on programming. Call me crazy, but there is just something about a book. Maybe it is just the physical turning of the page, that keeps me engaged. It is just not the same with ebooks. And online help, sheesh, its supposed to be easier, but it is not. The only good thing about online help is the constant updating.

I did a search of "Visual Basic programming reference". It took me to a page that made me do another search and that page made me follow several links to find their idea of a reference guide. It was training for programming. That's why I posted my question. Why can't they just direct me to what I want?

Then there is the fact that every time you go onto the Internet, you're risking your personal information as well as the health of your computer system. Oh, for the good old days when you got a CHM file that was laid out like a book, never sending you to a place where you had to go to another place to look at another place to MAYBE get what you are looking for. All of the Microsoft sites are the same too. I'd sure like some of what they were smoking when they decided their website design was awesome. :\

Have a good day,

Mike

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:09 PM
  • If anyone is still following this thread, I found a reference manual for VBA, "Microsoft Access Programmer's Reference". While it is a training manual, it also contains 150 of appendixes that contain the kind of references I'm looking for. Since it is out of print, all I could find were used copies at Amazon, I got it for $7.22 no shipping or taxes.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Mike

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:17 PM
  • I gave you an answer on the reference for this forum. VBA is in fact a complete different program language. It is completely incomparable to 

BASIC, BASICA, Pascal, C++, Assembler. 

It is not a program language on its own. It is a program tool extension for MS-Office. 

There are more forums for that, but if it is solely about VBA than this is the most obvious. 

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=isvvba

Success Cor

Thursday, January 11, 2018 3:37 AM
  • I understand all of your points. I saved the url from your previous post and I'll save this one as well, but, I still prefer a paper and ink book. I want something I can set open on my desk while I write. Call me old fashioned, but digital books are not the same thing and online help is worse that digital books. There is a lot to be said for a table of contents and index. Online help makes you keep searching until you finally find a reference that will help. I hate wading through link after link hoping that the next one will  be the one that actually answers my questions

I have received the above mentioned book and it does, indeed, have exactly what I was looking for.

About VBA being incomparable to other programming languages: If that were true, I wouldn't be 98% with my project.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 9:46 PM
  • To anyone still interested in this thread:

I finished my VBA project with the "Microsoft Access Programmer's Reference". I mentioned above. I never even needed to read anything but the appendices as they were exactly the kind of references I was looking for.

During my search for the VBA reference, I found a set of Visual Basic 6.0 manuals (Deluxe Learning Edition). They are old, copyright 1998, but they are still VERY useful. It's been my experience that MOST new features of a language have less to do with the programming language as they do improvements of HOW to program. This manual set is very much like manuals that used to come with Turbo (& Borland) Pascal, their C++ and Assemblers. They are exactly the type of manual I learned to program with. The kind that tell you, "We care if you learn this, enough to provide you references for your bookshelf".

The cost of programming languages has not gone down even though all you get for your money these days is a box with a DVD in it. I bought my Visual studios as a total electronic purchase. All I got was a download of the software and a license. I didn't even get a PDF file, just a bunch of links to online help. Why is the cost still so high when they don't even supply and electronic manual, let alone any printed materials?!?

Anyway, my search is over. My Access project just needs tweaking, and I've already started a project in Visual Studio. Full disclosure: I don't like Visual Basic! I am using C++. How's that for irony?

Cheers!

Mike

Monday, January 29, 2018 9:42 PM
  • To anyone still interested in this thread:

I finished my VBA project with the "Microsoft Access Programmer's Reference". I mentioned above. I never even needed to read anything but the appendices as they were exactly the kind of references I was looking for.

During my search for the VBA reference, I found a set of Visual Basic 6.0 manuals (Deluxe Learning Edition). They are old, copyright 1998, but they are still VERY useful. It's been my experience that MOST new features of a language have less to do with the programming language as they do improvements of HOW to program. This manual set is very much like manuals that used to come with Turbo (& Borland) Pascal, their C++ and Assemblers. They are exactly the type of manual I learned to program with. The kind that tell you, "We care if you learn this, enough to provide you references for your bookshelf".

The cost of programming languages has not gone down even though all you get for your money these days is a box with a DVD in it. I bought my Visual studios as a total electronic purchase. All I got was a download of the software and a license. I didn't even get a PDF file, just a bunch of links to online help. Why is the cost still so high when they don't even supply and electronic manual, let alone any printed materials?!?

Anyway, my search is over. My Access project just needs tweaking, and I've already started a project in Visual Studio. Full disclosure: I don't like Visual Basic! I am using C++. How's that for irony?

Cheers!

Mike

Mike,

That is not so strange, you like the 20th century. There is nothing you wrote about which is from this millennium. 

You really cannot compare VBA and VB6 from 1998 with VB2017. That is as well the problem with books. In those days it did fit in one book. Currently you need a shelf if you did not have Internet. 

I assume your computer looks like this one.

Success Cor

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 12:19 AM
  • Nah, mine's a tower.
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 11:45 AM
  • If the little megalomaniac running North Korea decides to shoot a dozen or so missiles to cities in the US because the idiot running this country won't quit calling him names, and the EMP from the nuclear detonations takes out a bunch of internet relays and puts this country back to the 1950s technology wise, I won't be the only person looking for paper and ink (or is it toner now?) books.

Not all technological advancements are for the better. Books are still the best way to learn something, yet we are moving farther and farther away from them. I have 3 bookcases in my room alone and another 1/2 dozen in my basement office space.

And for all your talk about how different one VB is different from another VB and it all totally different than all the programming languages of the past, I still wrote a half dozen forms and twice as many reports using only knowledge I already had that was 2 decades out of date and all I really needed was a language reference for less than 10 available procedures that I didn't have back then.

Furthermore, from what I am learning about Windows programming, I don't understand why there aren't millions more programmers in the world. Programmers today just string together a bunch of APIs. No one writes to the screen anymore they hook into a Windows function that does it for them. Need a menu system for your program, call out someone else's work to do it for you.

Learning to communicate with the comm ports was an incredibly satisfying experience. Need to talk to a modem or a LAN card or a printer. Microsoft has already written it for you, all you have to do as a modern programmer is to figure out the correct order and timing to call their routines.

Wanna draw a circle on the screen in today's environment, all a programmer needs is an approximate location on the screen with which to send a canned function or procedure. Where's the challenge. I started programming in 1981 because it was incredibly challenging. There was so much to learn to not only get the machine to do what you wanted, but to get it to do so as fast as possible. You needed to know hardware addresses. You needed to learn ASM to write inline code because it was the only way to get speed out of your program. I never left a single line of junk code in my programs because they only slowed down the execution.

You can't prevent junk code now. Why bother? Everything is an "object" and every object has many, many properties. It even has properties it will never use to keep compatible with every conceivable  permutation. Every pixel on the screen is an object. Every object has lotsa properties. I used to hangout on the BBS services, waaaay prior to the Internet, in what was the ancestor to the modern day forums , such as this one. The day 256 colors became became the dodo bird We all started freaking out about the overhead per pixel element and that was only 16 words (that's 32 bytes, in case what passes for reference literature today doesn't pass that little bit on), now it takes more than 16 words just to describe object.

If all this is progress, then Hell Yeah, I'd rather be living in the 20th century. A man had to learn about the computer to make a great program. Do you have any idea what address you are writing to when you make a menu? Back then you had to know, if you wanted any speed at all, all your screen writes had to go directly to the display hardware. You had to CALCULATE. Now, call a screen object up, put the location in the location property, the number of rows to display into the rows property, the number of columns in the columns property. Run the code and it magically appears on screen. All due the programming wizards at Microsoft and practically none of it the person "writing" the program.

Just why is it that the only books on writing code to the hardware and calling the interrupts that I can find now, in 2018, were written in the '90s. I expected to find tons of new information out there on writing to the newer hardware, and newer interrupts, since they were hardware specific. On direct memory writes. We told our programs to exact locations for our variable data to live. We didn't have "variants" at least none of the languages I worked in did. If you wanted a variable variable, you used pointers to where the data is stored and retrieved it with whatever variable was needed by loading that info to the memory location of the variable.

C++ is basically the same as it was when I learned it so many seasons ago and Visual Studio covers C++ so, if I have to live by the programming style, I can do it with something, that has the shortest learning curve. Since my programming is now and (with the exception of CNC mill programming) always was for my own pleasure, I can still continue exploring hardware direct writing. The programming wizards are not endowed at birth with the knowledge, so I'm thinking university bookstores and libraries.

I was going to post a pic of my little computer, but the system said something about needing to verify it came from my account and didn't tell how. You'd have been really impressed by the number of vacuum tubes I was able to replace with transistors.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 1:50 PM
  • Yea real a nice historical description. By the way, I was active before the time of C++. You don't tell that the internal formats of characters and the program code of C derived program languages is still based on the old Teletype which was wide available as a kind of fax machine.

Therefore those who don't know that, don't recognize why there is used a full stop with a  semicolon and case insensitive.

But the computer is not only anymore for guys in white dresses (I've never done that nonsense). A child of 4 is using a computer in his hand with a graphical user interface which has to be in a way a child can handle. 

However some persons want back horse carts in big cities instead of cars. They don't consider what a terrible smell there was in those days. Only the good things are told, not the bad things which were worse than now. 

Success Cor

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:38 PM
  • I agree, not everything from the past is better or the way we remember it. I used to work with a guy that would say things like: "if I'd have known in the '70s how much a Mustang would net in the market today, I'd have bought 10 of them." He somehow managed to forget that he hadn't been making the same money back then as now.

C may have started out as a language for programming teletype machines, but it grew into an extremely widely used language, indicating it evolved from its roots the way modern man evolved from being brutal cave dwellers into masters of our own environments.

That said, I still would like companies to go back to printed material. Yes, programming environments are more complex than they used to be and things change, BUT I don't believe it is SO complicated that a set of books won't cover it. After market books do a pretty damn good job of covering how a language works, but they rarely cover all the features available and never supply a quick reference card. After I learned to program, quick reference cards and books with a more in depth, yet still short description, were my constant companions while working, to provide reminders of spelling, syntax, and parameters. I feel totally lost with out this handy reference. Now, I need to spend more time trying to find the correct search term to find the answer I am looking for and not a list of links the MIGHT have my answer. 9 times of 10 the answer I am actually looking for isn't in the list at all, just a bunch of pages that MAY possibly mention my search word or phrase in an obscure paragraph that has nothing to do with I am looking for. These are not improvements.

Neither is it an improvement to no longer produce references to hardware callouts. The wizards writing Windows code are surely making calls like these to get Windows to get smaller, lighter, and faster.

So, if you think preferring books that actually teach something over online help files that often lead nowhere I wish to go and hide the knowledge that made programming fun, makes me one of those people looking to return to horse and carriages, coal power, and slavery then it is not MY world view that is in question. Having grown up in rural areas, I do, however, believe that automobile pollution isn't any better a smell than horse crap.

BTW, "guys in white dresses", what do you mean by this? I've never heard that expression before.

Cheers,

Mike.

• Edited by ItsMyNightmare Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:02 PM Additional comments
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:50 PM
  • Mike, 

There is a simple way to find information on Internet about programming. Use words which others don't use. 

The words Class, Method, Member, Property, Assembly give you information. Words as Program, App don't. 

About white dresses it was a short while, then suddenly it was gone. When you entered the computer room they told it had to be clean. It was complete nonsense but it did look so sophisticated. This is the only sample I could find on Internet and that was even a movie.  

Success Cor

• Edited by Cor Ligthert Wednesday, January 31, 2018 5:36 PM
    Wednesday, January 31, 2018 5:35 PM
  • Oh, OK

I see, white lab coats. I s'pose they kind of look like dresses. Judging from the computer along the wall behind the lab tech, that must've been a really old movie. Kudos for finding it.

I haven't used such common words as program and app.

Doing a search here gives more related responses than the "?" button in Office 2016. However, the results are more like what a quick reference card would give in olden times, except a quick reference ALWAYS gave a code example. I was trying to find "DoCmd.OpenQuery". It had no sample line of code, which is OK, but I was looking for a related command (if one exists) that would allow me to open a query passing an argument.The only related information it gave me was "DoCmd object" which brought me right back to the page I searched from to begin with. reference books of the past would always give a "See also" list. If the item I was looking for wasn't the one I was looking up, that list always included the command I was looking for. It never circled me right back to the beginning without an answer.

I wanted to open a query that requires a word to for its search. I ended up using ADO OpenTable. While I still couldn't send an argument, I could give it an SQL statement that did what I wanted to do.

Just having this conversation brings to mind an episode of the newer "Outer Limits". One person in a futuristic world is not able to have an implant to allow him to talk to the world computer system. His body rejects the implant. Everyone that knows him thinks of him like an idiot because he needs to learn the old fashioned way: WITH BOOKS. Everyone laughed as he dug through libraries. Libraries weren't kept up because no one needed books. They could get instant information through their implants, so all the libraries were in ruins.

It took the "retard" to save their asses because their artificially intelligent computer system had a major problem that was killing people by literally flooding their mind with more information than they could assimilate. They would first go crazy, then their brains would just shut off. And their world network couldn't help because it had developed a virus that was causing the whole thing and refused to believe it was responsible.

In the end, the bookworm found the command to shut down the system.

Yes, this was science FICTION, but that doesn't meant it can't ever come true. Satellites, space ships and stations, were scifi in the early 20th century, yet a bit over 50 years later they weren't.

I see a move away from books as one step closer to mankind's destruction. Think about it. If all info ends being electronic, how will we ever know when we are being lied to. Take an ahole like Trump or Putin or Kim Jong Un that decides to do something he calls "fake news". Do you think a rogue president or dictator would NOT have the means to eliminate any and all information he deems unnecessary for public consumption? Printed material can't be erased and re-written. You need to round up every single copy to destroy it. You think it is hard to get something off the internet once it is there? Try finding every hard copy of, say, the Bible on the planet.

This lack of printed materials isn't just software. I bought a microscope. It arrive yesterday. I'm very mechanical minded among other things. I assembled it without instructions the way I do with everything. It wasn't until I was trying to find where to put the color filters, when it dawned on me, this expensive piece of optical equipment didn't include ANYTHING on paper. Had I been an idiot, I'd have had to contact the manufacturer just to find out how to put it together. I did contact the seller (factory rep) and he told me I had to download the manuals and any other instructions from their website. I asked, "You guys can't even put a single sheet of instructions that tells me I need to download the manual? I had to contact you just to find out IF there is a manual".

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I went to the website and found I need a password to download the manual. I called the rep back and he says, "You don't have a password? Its printed on the label". I had to take a pic and send it to him, there was NO password on the label.

An extreme case? Not really...

So, do you know of a way I can open a query from VBA and pass it an argument?

The Table2 contains a field called "Category". There are only 5 distinct words it will have in it. I want to bring up the query only where the Category="Mineral". I don't like to manipulate the table directly unless I personally am typing the changes and watching them happen. I'm a bit of a control freak in that respect. ;)

Nice talking back and forth Cor.

What do the MCC, MVP after your name signify?

Have a good day,

Mike

Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:15 AM
  • Don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier, DoCmd.OpenForm method works just fine. No more direct table manipulation. Btw, I learning to use the online source inside of its own limits instead of being annoyed at it. Perhaps what helped is realizing that the "?" button in Office 2016 uses info from the online source and can frequently take you to it, it is actually a separate entity which doesn't necessarily contain ALL of the information of the MSDN online help site. I've just stopped using the "?" button. That was the source of much of my frustration. I am actually surprised by this fact, but I'll work with it.

No more complaining (in this thread anyway) about the lack of proper written material.

It was kind of fun going back/forth. Hope we "meet" again.

Have a great day,

Mike

Friday, February 2, 2018 3:05 AM
  • @cor ligthert

I just visited your profile to understand MCC and MVP. You have and amazing history. I was 14 when your started programming. I am surprised. As easily as you've accepted a book-less culture, I thought for sure you were a 20 or 30 something. I guess you're proof old dogs can learn new things. This old dog can learn new things too, I just have to be brought to there kicking and screaming the entire way. You can probably imagine my original (and LONG held) opinion of Windows ;)

Is the guy, above, in the "white dress" you? That's pretty close to the computers of the late 60s. <Rofl>

I tried to find a way to message you, but either it doesn't exists in this system or I still have a lot to learn about getting help from the system.

Best wishes,

Mike

Friday, February 2, 2018 3:32 AM