none
Windows Embedded 7 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

What can the boot time of Windows Embedded 7 on a Compact Flash be reduced to reasonably? How long does it take to boot Windows 7 Embedded on a Atom processor booting from a Comapct Flash. Just looking for range.

Thanks,

Todd

Friday, February 3, 2012 2:36 AM

All replies

• Depending on the CF, I have seen less than 60 seconds.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET
    Friday, February 3, 2012 5:51 AM
  • Hi Todd,

you may look if there are services running that you do not really need and disable them. Same applies to applications that start automatically (don't forget the one's in HKLM|HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run).

In addition to that try to avoid anything that causes unnecessary disk utilization, like:

• Prefetching/Superfetch
    • Paging (files)
    • System Restore
    • Background defragmention

This suggestions are also recommandations from CF manufacturer to avid a rapid damage of flash memory.
    Boot time: As mentoined by Sean Liming the boot type depends on your type of CF. My system was up after approx 50s (measured from end of BIOS P.O.S.T. until CPU idles completely).

• Edited by Willi K Friday, February 3, 2012 6:04 PM Added info for boot time
    Friday, February 3, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Transcend CF160 CF Card  32GB

Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz single core

about a 60 sec boot from power on (long shutdown)  (152 score on Novabench) 

50 sec with Industrial Automation template install (now to find out why)

If I install updates, net version, or drivers, it seems to takes forever the first time as expected.

Thanks, Richard

• Edited by Delphin25 Monday, October 1, 2012 8:30 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:53 PM
  •    Hi, 

Do you concern the boot time? Maybe you can consider using the HORM on your Image.

It will reduce boot time within 20 sec using Intel Atom N270 platform. 

If you interest that reference the MSND document.  

HORM on WES 7 SP1: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff794295(v=winembedded.60).aspx

Johnny

Johnny

Friday, November 9, 2012 2:26 AM