Is it possible to call regular desktop application from the windowsRT app?

Question

• Hi,

I want to call desktop application through winRT app. Is it possible can anybody tell mi how to do this?

• Edited by k_amol Monday, April 7, 2014 5:57 AM
    Monday, April 7, 2014 5:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Not directly. What is the scenario you are trying to achieve?

--Rob

Monday, April 7, 2014 6:00 AM
    Owner
  • Thank You Rob for your reply :)

I want to do Text Classification. I have some opensource libraries which support in desktop application development environment. But they do not have any support in the WinRT. So I want to use windows application for the text analysis.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:09 AM
  • You'll need to port them to work in your app. There isn't a WA for general purpose apps to do ipc with desktop apps.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:23 AM
    Owner
  • I am not getting... Can you please explain? Please...
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:04 PM
  • In a side-loaded Windows Store application you can interact with custom desktop applications through Network Loopback or using Brokered Windows Runtime Components for side-loaded applications, or by launching a file or URL that is registered to an already installed desktop application.

In a Store Application published to the Windows Store, you can't have part of your application running in the desktop.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:13 PM
  • There is no supported way for general purpose apps to communicate directly with desktop apps. If your app is distributed through the store then it must be fully self-contained.

With the Windows 8.1 Update, Enterprise side-loaded apps can use brokered Windows Runtime Components to communicate with and enhance desktop apps, but this is available only to side-loaded apps. See Prashant's blog entry Cheat-Sheet for using Brokered Windows Runtime Components for side-loaded Windows Store apps

--Rob

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:41 PM
    Owner