none
Autoupdate for Windows Phone 8.0 Entreprise App RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I built a windows phone 8.0 app signed with a symantec certificate in order to distribute this to my Company's employees.

I didn't use the entreprise hub for practical reasons and i didn't had enough time to develop both hub and application.

By the way, I implemented an autoupdate system that detects there's a new version of the xap on my server and i want to launch the server xap file from my app. I started to use the WebBrowserTask object to launch my xap uri with Internet Explorer. It works but it's such a bad user experience with the opening of the web browser, and different messages and pop-up to install application.

After that, i tried to download the xap file directly from the server in the app with the BackgroundTransferService object, and launch it with  Windows.System.Launcher.LaunchFileAsync method. My goal is to update my app without switching from my app to web browser, with messages that can trouble audience. My application has been also developped on iOs and Android and we succeeded to implement this behavior on both of these platforms.

Is it possible to launch the install process and quit my app in the same movement, like i do in my Android and iOS applications?

Thanks for your answers!

Nicolas

• Moved by Jamles Hez Monday, March 9, 2015 7:28 AM
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 9:46 AM

All replies

• I am new to windows phone development. I am interested in this issue. Any idea?
    Friday, February 13, 2015 8:42 AM
  • In fact i succeeded to do that.

the trouble is that you have to  install a signed xap file over the old version of this signed xap file.

That doesn't work if you try to download and install a signed file over the debug application installed by usb cable.

So you can't test this behavior with debug :->

After execution of the LaunchFileAsync method, the application close itself and update automatically.

Friday, February 13, 2015 12:41 PM