none
How to assign outlook Task start time and due time? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I want to sync task start date and time and due date and time from my CRM to outlook. I cant assign the time to this fields. If I assign a time and check the task.startdate or task.duedate, it always show the time 12:00:00 AM. How can i assign my on time?

Thanks

Bobbin

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Tasks are timeless. If you need the time portion, why not create an appointment?

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Hi

But when i display the value of task.startdate or duedate, it will show like this "8/14/2013 12:00:00 AM".

Thanks

Bobbin

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 10:19 AM
  • As Dmitry said there is no time for tasks. The time will always be 12 AM as a DateTime field always has a time element.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:26 PM
  • I'd just like to point out that this issue still exists.  I believe based on the names there is a distinction between an appointment and a task.  There is no reason we should have to create an appointment as a workaround for a task.

It looks like tasks are set to end of business day based on time zone.  It is clear from this that the variable for due date is a datetime data type.  Not everyone has the same end of business day based on shifts and this should be modifiable.

Monday, July 28, 2014 1:24 PM
  • Tasks and appointments are different types of Outlook objects and have different purposes. The issue still exists because Outlook was designed that way, and things aren't going to change.

If you need a task use that, if you need an appointment use that. Only an appointment has a time component.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Monday, July 28, 2014 1:35 PM
  • Saying that things are designed that way and not going to change isn't an answer is it? In simple English, a task and an appointment are two different things, and saying that a task is timeless while an appointment isn't looks honestly bad on the outlook dev team IMO.
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 3:11 PM
  • Actually it is an answer. The product group designed it this way many years ago and right or wrong it's not going to change.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Friday, November 27, 2015 2:59 PM
  • Sure, it's an answer, but a rather crappy one at that.

Maybe Microsoft should pay attention to customer feedback.  People want to specify a time for when a task is due, so give them that option.  Don't just tell them to schedule a 15 minute "appointment" for something that isn't an appointment.  We all understand that when Outlook was first created over 20 years ago it was probably much more intensive on the development side (and computational resources side) to have a user-specified time associated with a task.  However, now that is a bogus excuse (not the one you made, but certainly the excuse you implied) and it is completely unreasonable for a representative of Microsoft to be so callous toward customers.  Maybe you should try forwarding this customer request onto developers instead of telling us to sit down, shut up, make an appointment, and be happy with it.

Monday, September 12, 2016 3:25 PM
  • Instead of fuming, why not try to behave like a grownup and submit a feature request (or upvote an existing one) at https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/322590-outlook-2016-for-windows/ ?

Monday, September 12, 2016 3:37 PM

• Instead of fuming, why not try to behave like a grownup

Instead of being arrogant in your answers, why not to try feign a little understanding?

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 4:34 PM
  • It is pretty hard to be understanding if your answer is called "a rather crappy one". Grownups usually understand that there are some things that cannot be changed. And that the best you can do is either live with it or try to change it in the future (e.g. by submitting a feature request).

Lashing out at somebody who simply explains how things work but is in not way responsible for design and implementation of that feature does not normally cause anybody to be "understanding".

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 5:25 PM
  • Oh dear - all everyone wants when they come here is the solution.
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:53 AM
  • I have some vbs code to mirror rltasks to appointments. I used a seperate calendar filter to keep it a little better. Also check the next 15 min available to get a workable time. And also task leveling code based on the category of the task I'm thinking if using the task reminder as a cleaner option. Either way. Letme know if want more info.
    Saturday, August 19, 2017 7:00 AM
  • Here is where you will find your answer I believe: 

https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/195865/can-hours-be-added-to-a-task-list

Monday, October 2, 2017 12:05 AM
  • That only applies to SharePoint, not Outlook.

Monday, October 2, 2017 12:32 AM
  • It is pretty hard to be understanding if your answer is called "a rather crappy one". Grownups usually understand that there are some things that cannot be changed. And that the best you can do is either live with it or try to change it in the future (e.g. by submitting a feature request).

Lashing out at somebody who simply explains how things work but is in not way responsible for design and implementation of that feature does not normally cause anybody to be "understanding".

While I agree people should respond maturely,
    the Mod Ken Slovak before you stated "things aren't going to change" and repeated in his next post "it's not going to change" due to design of many years ago... wtf kind of answer is that?
    He did NOT include the link to the feature requests... and was not seeming to care...
    In my opinion, THAT sounds like a very NON grown up response...
    But of course you have to defend your own, and call out the customer and insinuate that they aren't a grown up...

You say try to change it in the future... and point people to the Feature Request....
    But this is a very small piece of Outlook that already goes pretty un-used by most, likely due to the lack of proper scheduling..
    So not enough people will "vote up" that feature request to cause change...
    They will just listen to the Microsoft reps such as yourself when you suggest to incorrectly use "Appointments" for tasks/to-do lists...

Really it's more like they just don't want to spend their time on this and potentially have less people using the recently bought out "wunderlist"

Microsoft is eventually going to fade out like IBM if they don't change....

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 9:46 PM
  • As I said before, grownups usually don't use words like "crappy" and "wtf". If you want a feature in Outlook to change, there is an appropriate channel - https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/322590-outlook-2016-for-windows/

Microsoft Product Managers pay very close attention to the customer requests. To make sure your opinion is taken into account, it will greatly help if you would state your case clearly and convincingly.

If, on the other hand, you want your post to be ignored, fuming and using profanities is usually very effective.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 11:04 PM
  • As I said before, grownups usually don't use words like "crappy" and "wtf". If you want a feature in Outlook to change, there is an appropriate channel - https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/322590-outlook-2016-for-windows/

Microsoft Product Managers pay very close attention to the customer requests. To make sure your opinion is taken into account, it will greatly help if you would state your case clearly and convincingly.

If, on the other hand, you want your post to be ignored, fuming and using profanities is usually very effective.

Ken Slovak (MVP) is the one who sparked users frustration with his response that indicated that he didn't care a lick about what the customers want, and that it wasn't going to change. period.

That's what my response was about.  You actually included the link to the feature request page...
    So that's good/helpful... however you decide to further insult already frustrated customers by insinuating that they aren't grown ups...  just because you didn't like the way they responded when they were frustrated... 
    You can get away with that in a forum... try telling someone to act like a grown up as a customer service rep in person in a real job...  that's just not what you do...   you'll either end up in a physical fight, have a customer that's yelling, you'd be losing customers, having your manager called etc

Luckily this isn't the real world...  This is Microsoft Land

Friday, October 13, 2017 12:08 AM
  • And I am here, because I was looking for an answer as to whether a time could be added. I understand the frustration, because Dmitry's response was essentially 1) it isn't designed that way. 2) we aren't going to change it and 3 ) deal with it.

A task and an appointment are different things.  I don't look for appointments in my task list, nor do I look for tasks in my appointment list.

Dmitry's response lacks any customer service mindset at all; that is the concern. Dmitry, you are not suited for this line of work.  A customer-facing role is just not for you.  People have different skillsets.  You lack an ability to handle customer concerns.  An appropriate answer would have been.  'we appreciate the input and will add that to our list of feature enhancements.' 

We know that enhancement lists are prioritized.  It is possible that it will never be implemented.  We get that, but simply making sure the request was added to the list would have addressed the concern. 

This thread was created over four years ago.  Dmitry responded then, and he is responding now.  Perhaps there is a reason he is working the same job four years later (which is really odd in the IT field by the way).

I'll stand by now while Dmitry attacks my response.

Thanks

Monday, October 16, 2017 11:19 AM
  • Larry, I think you are missing one important piece - I do NOT work for Microsoft. I am a developer just like most people in this forum. I've been working with Outlook (as a developer) for the last 18 years. Answering questions here is not my job - I do that in my spare time. And I can give my advice and opinion without meaningless drivel.

I can call a spade a spade - backward compatibility is important, and the behavior of tasks in Outlook is unlikely to change. If you want a change, ask for it at UserVoice or upvote an existing request. If you are an IT admin in a company with a few thousand  Office licenses, your opinion will be heard loud and clear.

Everything else (including this discussion) is really meaningless.

Or would you rather prefer "we (whoever that is) value your opinion and we will consider your request". Does that help you better?

Monday, October 16, 2017 3:52 PM