none
Unable to open MS Access Front End over network share RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I ask for your help with the following case:

I developed an MS Access application, consisting of a set of forms, queries, reports and db tables. Once I finished development, I split the database in order to deploy the back-end on a network share folder, while the front-end would be distributed to our 'client' users, I configured the file to first open a pop-up login screen I created.

The issue is that once the back-end db file is in the network share, the front-end won't open for other users different than myself (no error or warning messages, just opens the MS Access menu), even though I linked the front-end to the back-end tables correctly providing the full network share address, also these users have the same permissions I have on the shared folder, back-end file and front-end file.

Thus, my question is, what is your advice in order to solve this issue?

I've tried several options, including putting the front-end file on the shared folder, yielding the same results.

Thanks in advanced.

Carlos De Abreu.

Ing. Carlos De Abreu. Por favor, si la respuesta ha sido util marcala como util. Gracias Carlos De Abreu. Computer Engineer. If the answer has been useful, please vote it as helpful. Thanks.

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 3:53 PM

Answers

• Thank you all for your responses,

I solved the problem configuring the Trust Center, enabling Macros and ActiveX controls and of course setting the full qualified path to the front-end file as trusted (I also marked the sub-folders as trusted), then inside the shared folder I disabled the current inherited permissions and set individual security settings of the front-end file as read only for each user/group, which will ask to all users who access it to save it into their PCs.

So far, I have tested with several users successfuly.

Best regards.

Carlos De Abreu.

Ing. Carlos De Abreu. Por favor, si la respuesta ha sido util marcala como util. Gracias Carlos De Abreu. Computer Engineer. If the answer has been useful, please vote it as helpful. Thanks.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 3:30 PM

All replies

• The db compiles without errors?

Everyone is using the same version and bitness of Access?  What version(s) and bitnesses are being used to run the db?

The Version and bitness of Access used to create the database matches that being used to run the database?

You have created the necessary Trusted Location for each user?

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2017 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 6:08 PM
  • In addition, make sure no one puts their FE file into the \Program Files or \Program files(x86) subdirectories on their computer. They are Read Only subdirectories and cannot be used for ACCESS application files.
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 7:07 PM
  • Just a few questions since it sounds like a network related issue:

How did you link the tables to the database on the network? Did you use a UNC path? Mapped drive letter? If it's a mapped drive letter is it the same one others use?

Are credentials required to connect to the network share before it's available?

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Thursday, October 5, 2017 2:34 PM
  • Thank you all for your responses,

I solved the problem configuring the Trust Center, enabling Macros and ActiveX controls and of course setting the full qualified path to the front-end file as trusted (I also marked the sub-folders as trusted), then inside the shared folder I disabled the current inherited permissions and set individual security settings of the front-end file as read only for each user/group, which will ask to all users who access it to save it into their PCs.

So far, I have tested with several users successfuly.

Best regards.

Carlos De Abreu.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 3:30 PM