Multiple development environments RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi!

I'm solving a problem for a company.

They have a development team which develop applications for a webbportal they have created. They run multiple projects at the same time, which means that they work on several releases simultaneously. They have one version of the portal which is up running, which also sometimes requires some bug fixing.

To develop or modify applications/files/modules the developer has to have the right version of the portal and its applications installed on his computer. The right environment in other words.

This means that if a developer is working on, let's say release 1.6, he has to uninstall all those applications and install the ones belonging to for example version 1.2  if he wants to correct some bugs or modify some files in the actual version that's in production, and so on. It's is not possible to handle applications for multiple versions of the portal at the same time on the computer.

They use SourceSafe to handle the check-in and out of files.

What kind of solution could enable the possibility for the developer to switch between different environments, or projects without having to uninstall and install different versions?

Thanks in prehand!

/JazzHazze

Thursday, February 7, 2008 10:28 AM

Answers

• You could try and virtualize the development environments, Microsofts Virtual PC or VMware shoudl do the trick.  You'll need a machine with lots of disk space for multiple virtual images and with lots of cores and memory if you wnat to run more than one virtual machine at a time. 

Thursday, February 7, 2008 11:34 AM

All replies

• You could try and virtualize the development environments, Microsofts Virtual PC or VMware shoudl do the trick.  You'll need a machine with lots of disk space for multiple virtual images and with lots of cores and memory if you wnat to run more than one virtual machine at a time. 

Thursday, February 7, 2008 11:34 AM
  • Hi!

Thanks for the advice!

Let's say that I want to split a machine into two virtual images. Is it possible to configure the images so that one uses less system resources than the other? Or do they share the resources equally?

/JH

Monday, February 11, 2008 9:02 AM
  •  

It's possible to configure the amount of memory a virtual image will consume. I'ts also possible to affect processor usage a bit, but for VPC / Virutal Server that's about it.
    Monday, February 11, 2008 9:08 AM
  • What Jackson proposes is fine and could work although -as he admits- may be expensive

If using VSS is not mandatory and could be submitted to revision, I'd like to suggest to take a look to Team System 2008's multiple "workspaces" feature

In brief, each workspace in the VSTS 2008 jargon is what the author of this thread called "development environment" (a specific version of the application that needs to be switched back and force together with others)

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:55 PM