Where Did My Workflow Settings Link Go? It is from the Missing from List Settings Page. RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I migrated a site from Development to Testing and then to Production using the SharePoint Deployment Wizard ( http://www.codeplex.com/SPDeploymentWizard ) from CodePlex.  For the most part everything migrated over smooth.

I have a subsite that is for all the InfoPath Forms.   All the InfoPath forms are displayed in a web browser using forms services.  Each form has a workflow that is kicked off when a form is submitted. 

During the migration, the workflows were no longer assocaited with the forms.  I went in to the form library settings and the 'Workflow Settings' link is missing.  I was able to manually type in the URL to the page that enables you to add workflows to the form library and it let me associate the workflow with the the form library.  I tested it and everything works. 

Couple other things to note...

• Both sites that were deployed to (test and production) have this issue.
    • One of the sites had the IpWssMig utilitity ran over it to remap the URL's.
    • The development site was originally using NTLM security.  At the very end (after the forms were published to it), the requirements changed and the site was modified to use Forms Based Authentication (FBA).
    • The InfoPath forms were thoroughly tested in development before and after the security was chagned to FBA.
    • An exception occurs when you click on 'Title, description and navigation' link in the for the Form Libraries.

Does anyone know why the workflow settings link is missing and how I can get it back?

- John
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 7:42 PM

Answers

• Pierre-Andre,

I did.  For some reason one of the sites that got deployed using the SharePoint Deployment Wizard had some of the hidden features turned off.  Once I activated them, the workflow settings link was there.

In order to activate the hidden features, you will need SharePoint Manager 2007 (http://www.codeplex.com/spm).  Note that SharePoint Manager is not overly intuitive so if you need me to send you a screenshot I will.

For a Team Site, you should enable the following features if they aren’t already…

• Announcements Lists
    • Contacts Lists
    • Custom Lists
    • Data Connections Feature
    • Data Source Libraries
    • Discussion Lists
    • Document Libraries (the first one listed)
    • Events List
    • Gantt Chart Tasks List
    • Grid Lists
    • Issues Lists
    • Links List
    • Mobility Shortcut URL
    • No-code workflow libraries
    • Office SharePoint Server Enterprise Site Features
    • Office SharePoint Server Standard Site Features
    • Picture Libraries
    • Portal Analytics Links
    • Related Links Scope Settings
    • SharePoint Portal Server Report Library
    • SharePoint Portal Server Status indicator List Template
    • Slide Library
    • Survey Lists
    • Tasks List (the first one listed)
    • Team Collaboration Lists
    • Translation Management Library
    • Wiki Page Library
    • Workflow History Lists
    • WorkflowProcessList Feature
    • XML Form Libraries
    I believe my workflow settings were visible once I enabled the Task List feature, but I'm not positive. 

Let me know if this helps and please vote as helpful if it was.
    - John
    • Marked as answer by GoodJohnScott Friday, September 4, 2009 12:06 PM
    Friday, September 4, 2009 12:06 PM

All replies

• Did you try creating a new library? Is it there?
    Through Central Admin, try disabling and renabling workflow settings (in Application Management)
    It is possible to hide settings links through features. Any third-party features installed?

Here's hoping!

David Lozzi
    Delphi Technology Solutions
    Blog  |  LinkedIn | Twitter
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 8:12 PM
  • NEVER post the same question to two forums. It just wastes everyone's time.

I have deleted the duplicate posted to the workflow forum. (Later: and the copy sent to Dev/Programming)

(With this question affecting both InfoPath and Workflow, I don't care which forum of the two you post it to, but I do care if it's posted to more than one. I left this copy because it had a reply.)

(Moderator)

WSS FAQ sites: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com and http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Sorry Mike, I wasn't sure what forum to put it in.
    - John
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:40 PM
  • Hi John

Did you manage to solve this? The Workflow Settings link is missing from all my document libraries and lists.

Friday, September 4, 2009 7:35 AM
  • Pierre-Andre,

I did.  For some reason one of the sites that got deployed using the SharePoint Deployment Wizard had some of the hidden features turned off.  Once I activated them, the workflow settings link was there.

In order to activate the hidden features, you will need SharePoint Manager 2007 (http://www.codeplex.com/spm).  Note that SharePoint Manager is not overly intuitive so if you need me to send you a screenshot I will.

For a Team Site, you should enable the following features if they aren’t already…

• Announcements Lists
    • Contacts Lists
    • Custom Lists
    • Data Connections Feature
    • Data Source Libraries
    • Discussion Lists
    • Document Libraries (the first one listed)
    • Events List
    • Gantt Chart Tasks List
    • Grid Lists
    • Issues Lists
    • Links List
    • Mobility Shortcut URL
    • No-code workflow libraries
    • Office SharePoint Server Enterprise Site Features
    • Office SharePoint Server Standard Site Features
    • Picture Libraries
    • Portal Analytics Links
    • Related Links Scope Settings
    • SharePoint Portal Server Report Library
    • SharePoint Portal Server Status indicator List Template
    • Slide Library
    • Survey Lists
    • Tasks List (the first one listed)
    • Team Collaboration Lists
    • Translation Management Library
    • Wiki Page Library
    • Workflow History Lists
    • WorkflowProcessList Feature
    • XML Form Libraries
    I believe my workflow settings were visible once I enabled the Task List feature, but I'm not positive. 

Let me know if this helps and please vote as helpful if it was.
    - John
    • Marked as answer by GoodJohnScott Friday, September 4, 2009 12:06 PM
    Friday, September 4, 2009 12:06 PM
  • Hi John

I didn't even need Sharepoint Manager, I just activated Team Collaboration Lists. It was the only feature that wasn't activated for the site.
    It's a bit obscure that you need that feature for workflows settings to appear, but it works now, so I'm not complaining.

Thanks, you definately pointed me in the right direction.

Pierre-Andre
    Friday, September 4, 2009 12:31 PM
  • Out of curosity, what type of site did you create that didn't have workflow settings link visible by default?

- John
    Friday, September 4, 2009 12:52 PM
  • I created a team site, but then realized we needed some of the publishing features as well. I experimented a bit with the different features and I probably deactivated the Team Collaboration Lists by accident.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 6:40 AM
  • The one that you need to activate to show the "Workflow settings link" is WorkflowHistoryList.

Moderator Note: NEVER propose your own posts as answers. The "Propose as Answer" function is for people to propose the good answers of other people. It is not for elf-proposing.

• Proposed as answer by ClaraOscura Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:44 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:27 PM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:28 PM Moderator Note added about not proposing own answers
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:44 PM