none
Either Windows 8 MSDN download and RTM versions or Final versions in market are similar and can be used as final as genuine ? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to know before installation that are these versions of windows from MSDN and other that come in DVD (in market) form are similar in terms of genuinely or there is difference in installing MSDN download and windows 8 DVD in the market? Does the windows 8 versions from MSDN stop working after 6 months? please tell in detail.
    • Changed type Dipendra Kumar Ayer Monday, January 7, 2013 7:11 AM I want to know before installing windows 8?
    Monday, January 7, 2013 7:09 AM

Answers

• MSDN is for developing and testing products that work on top of Windows 8 that is available in the Marketplace... so I think it would actually defeat the purpose of the MSDN Program if we offered different versions of Windows in MSDN than those that are available publicly.  If that were the case, MSDN Subscribers couldn't be 100% sure of their development and test efforts.  

There is no difference between the versions available in MSDN and those available elsewhere.  There are some products that work slightly differently than in the market place, and the one example of this I can think of is with Windows embedded products, which are limited by design due to the nature of embedded products.   

The Windows 8 versions from MSDN do not stop working after 6 months.    The versions of Microsoft products that do stop working after a certain amount of time called "Evaluation" or "Trial" versions and typically are available for download for free.  The Windows 8 Trial is available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx.

Hope this helps explain!  Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Monday, January 7, 2013 2:47 PM

All replies

• MSDN is for developing and testing products that work on top of Windows 8 that is available in the Marketplace... so I think it would actually defeat the purpose of the MSDN Program if we offered different versions of Windows in MSDN than those that are available publicly.  If that were the case, MSDN Subscribers couldn't be 100% sure of their development and test efforts.  

There is no difference between the versions available in MSDN and those available elsewhere.  There are some products that work slightly differently than in the market place, and the one example of this I can think of is with Windows embedded products, which are limited by design due to the nature of embedded products.   

The Windows 8 versions from MSDN do not stop working after 6 months.    The versions of Microsoft products that do stop working after a certain amount of time called "Evaluation" or "Trial" versions and typically are available for download for free.  The Windows 8 Trial is available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx.

Hope this helps explain!  Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Monday, January 7, 2013 2:47 PM
  • Thank you very much for your reply.
    I want to one more thing; whether the windows 8 evaluation version can be activated in to genuine after its expiration of trial period  or not ? 
    Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:49 AM
  • Thank you very much for your reply.
    I want to one more thing; whether the windows 8 evaluation version can be activated in to genuine after its expiration of trial period  or not ? 

WinSrv2012 = yes http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574204.aspx

Win8 = No http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/5c6b10bd-b2a3-46d4-b166-0aab48fb0aaf/

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, January 13, 2013 12:30 AM