Should I convert an internal application to SQL Server? Pro's & Con's? RRS feed

• Question

• We are a relatively small financial services firm considering the implementation of a SQL Server 2008 or SQL Server 2008 Express database management system. The new system would replace/augment applications that we have developed in-house to meet various mission critical needs. Our current setup includes multiple Excel workbooks, with extensive VBA coding, that serve as a “front-end” to a few Access databases. In addition, we have several other workbooks and stand-alone databases that pull data from a variety of sources (order management systems, portfolio management systems, back-office system, and other external sources) in a variety of formats (.csv, .txt, pipe-delimited, DDE, etc.). Can someone please explain the pros and cons of upgrading to SQL Server and offer guidance on what enhancements/improvements we can reasonably expect?

My apologies in advance if this is an inappropriate question for a technical forum. I couldn't think of a better place to get answers to Microsoft related questions. I welcome any suggestions as to a more appropriate venue. Thank you in advance for your time.

Monday, January 10, 2011 3:37 AM

Answers

All replies