locked
"Test agent could not connect to the test controller" VS2012 Agents RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm having difficulty getting my test agent (on a remote machine) to connect with my test controller. 

    I'm getting the error message: 

    "Test agent could not connect to the test controller"

    In the log, the following errors are present:

    Some of the errors are shown multiple times, so I have indicate the number of times beside them.  

    x2: "Could not get the status from the test agent. Exception: Failed to connect to an IPC Port: The system cannot find the file specified."

    x1: "Could not get the status from the test agent. Exception: Requested Service not found"

    x1: "Could not get the status from the test agent. Exception: Failed to write an IPC Port: The pipe is being closed"

    x3 : "Could not get the status from the test agent. Exception: Failed to connect to an IPC Port: The system cannot find the file specified."

    Any ideas? 

    Thanks in advance. 

    Monday, September 3, 2012 1:30 PM

Answers

  • I fixed the issue.

    Despite my Test Agent reporting success with creating the Firewall exceptions, I examined my Inbound Rules for my Firewall and discovered that the two exceptions for the QTAgentService.exe were actually blocked.

    I had previously installed the Visual Studio 2010 agent tool on this machine. These exceptions were still enabled.

    I'm unsure why they were blocked, but one possibility is that my anti-virus software blocked it (AVG anti-virus I have installed). I didn't have the same problem with the VS2010 agent tool.

    Once I un-blocked both exceptions (one is UDP, the other is TCP), my test agent successfully connected with my test controller.

    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 1:10 PM

All replies

  • I fixed the issue.

    Despite my Test Agent reporting success with creating the Firewall exceptions, I examined my Inbound Rules for my Firewall and discovered that the two exceptions for the QTAgentService.exe were actually blocked.

    I had previously installed the Visual Studio 2010 agent tool on this machine. These exceptions were still enabled.

    I'm unsure why they were blocked, but one possibility is that my anti-virus software blocked it (AVG anti-virus I have installed). I didn't have the same problem with the VS2010 agent tool.

    Once I un-blocked both exceptions (one is UDP, the other is TCP), my test agent successfully connected with my test controller.

    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 1:10 PM
  • Hi xbox360ciaran,

    Glad to hear you have had your issue resolved. And thanks for sharing us the solution here, it will benefit to other community members who have the same issue.

    Thanks for sharing.


    Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:22 AM
    Moderator