Azure Managed Instance RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Experts.

Good Morning..

I have a requirement to restore SQL server 2008 R2 Database backup (.bak) to Azure Managed Instance.. is it possible to restore directly.. do i need upgade the SQL server to latest version.

Thanks

Ramesh M

Sunday, July 5, 2020 4:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Ramesh,

Please check the RESTORE statement differences between SQL Server & Azure SQL Managed Instance.

<Excerpt>
    FROM URL (Azure Blob storage) is the only supported option.
    FROM DISK/TAPE/backup device isn't supported.
    </Excerpt>

So you need to complete the SQL Server backup to Azure Blob storage.  For the migrating from a SQL Server version prior to SQL Server 2012 CU2, you need to back up locally and then copy the files to Azure Blob storage.

Please refer to following post to achieve this restoration.
    Quickstart: Restore a database to Azure SQL Managed Instance with SSMS

Migrating SQL Server Databases to Azure Managed Instances with Native Backups

In additon your issues are related to Azure Managed Instance. I also suggest you open a thread in the Azure forum, People there will help you more effectively.

Best regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 6, 2020 2:41 AM
  • Hi Ramesh,

Is there any update on this case? Was your issue resolved?

If you have resolved your issue, please mark the useful reply as answer. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

In addition, if you have another questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks for your contribution.

Best regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 5:30 AM