Implement the task escalation in SPD workflow. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am working on a workflow in SPD that has task escalation functionality. I need to escalate the task if user doesn’t take action in 5 days to first level escalation user. If first level user also doesn’t take action in next 3 days then task should be escalated to second level escalation user.

I have gone through the few articles related to escalation. To implement the escalation functionality most of article suggest to design the another workflow on the task list which will be stated on task creation. This workflow will pause for 5 days and if action has not been taken on task, after 5 days this workflow will reassign the task to first level escalation user. Again this workflow will pause for 3 days and if action has not been taken by first level user too, after 3 days workflow will reassign this task to second level user. I suppose I would be able to manage this logic easily in SPD workflow.

If I use this approach I have to create two workflows, one workflow for main workflow logic and another for task escalation logic on task list. I am wonder if there is a way to cater this scenario in single workflow in SPD. if anybody has any idea regarding the same please help me.

Regards Amit K

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:40 AM

Answers

• Hi amit,

There is an article using several workflows to implement task escalation with Designer 2007.
    http://sharepointsolutions.blogspot.com/2008/10/task-escalation-using-workflows.html
    If put all the logic controls in one workflow, it should be complicated or impossible without the special feature like “Parallel Block”.

Thanks & Regards,
    Daniel

Regards, Daniel, Microsoft Contingent Staff
    • Marked as answer by Restless Spirit Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:45 AM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:29 AM SPD 2010 is off-topic in a pre-SP 2010 forum. This part of the post was therefore removed
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:40 AM