Metadata screen that comes after upload is gone RRS feed

• Question

• I have a strange behavior I noticed on a 2007 site. On this certain library, when you upload a file, it normally would upload > load the screen with forms and the metadata for you to enter in and then proceed to check in.

However this site decides that after you hit upload, the page loads back up the main screen of the library, completely bypassing the check in screen. Then I notice that my file is not there in the library. There is no error message or warning, so its quite hard to troubeshoot. There are workflows but they should in no way affect the action of SharePoint loading the checkin screen post upload as this is a default behavior. This does work in a 2003 site.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has experienced this.

-Gabe

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I understand that the upload process for a library is not normal in your site. The default upload process is listed below:

1. Click Upload menu and choose Upload Document or Upload Multiple Documents.
    2. Then the Upload.aspx page will show up and you can browse for the files to upload.
    3. Click OK to upload the file and the EditForm.aspx page will show up. You need to fill in the column values and then check in.

Now your EditForm.aspx page doesn’t show up when you click OK in Upload.aspx page, you need to check whether the file you are uploading is too large. You can also open the site in SharePoint designer. Open the Forms folder under the document library to see whether the Upload and the EditForm page have been modified. If they have been modified, there will be a “!” icon before the file name. You can right click on these file and choose ’Reset to site definition’.

After setting these pages back to site definition, try the upload process once again. If this still doesn’t work, you need to check whether you are able to check in and check out a file manually.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 15, 2012 7:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I understand that the upload process for a library is not normal in your site. The default upload process is listed below:

1. Click Upload menu and choose Upload Document or Upload Multiple Documents.
    2. Then the Upload.aspx page will show up and you can browse for the files to upload.
    3. Click OK to upload the file and the EditForm.aspx page will show up. You need to fill in the column values and then check in.

Now your EditForm.aspx page doesn’t show up when you click OK in Upload.aspx page, you need to check whether the file you are uploading is too large. You can also open the site in SharePoint designer. Open the Forms folder under the document library to see whether the Upload and the EditForm page have been modified. If they have been modified, there will be a “!” icon before the file name. You can right click on these file and choose ’Reset to site definition’.

After setting these pages back to site definition, try the upload process once again. If this still doesn’t work, you need to check whether you are able to check in and check out a file manually.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

Thursday, November 15, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Entan. Te reverting of all the pages back to the site definition did work. There was a user error in them not understanding the process. I have been informed they can now upload.

-Gabe

Friday, November 16, 2012 8:40 PM
  • Hi,

I cannot reproduce your issue. The EditFrom.aspx page will also show up when you upload a file that already exist in the library. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

Thursday, November 22, 2012 2:30 AM
  • Hi,

I am not able to reproduce this issue with an out of the box site. It is possible that upload.aspx has been modified on your environment.  For troubleshooting, I would set the logging setting for SharePoint to verbose mode.  Then look for the upload.aspx entries and see if there are any errors surrounding this.

You should also be able to collect IIS logs from the server and look at the CS-bytes field for upload attempt.  The CS-bytes field will be how many bytes were received by the server.

If you create brand new site or site collection, does the behavior occur?

Regards, Savoeurn Va Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, December 10, 2012 6:04 PM
  • Sorry, Entan's method was correct in fixing it. I have marked his reply of reverting everything back to site defintions as the correct answer.

-Gabe

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:10 PM