none
how to "hide" website and just have "under construction page RRS feed

• Question

• HI. I have a website set up in Expression Web 4. We have multiple "pages" but it's come to the point where we need to do some re-vamping. I want to just have a home page that says "Under Construction" but I don't want to lose any of the website that I worked so hard on because I may need to use it again, meaning all the coding and text. How do I do this? Can I hide it while still keeping it up and just have another page that says Under Construction showing to the public? I don't know if this is clear enough but I am hoping someone can help me and will clarify if need be. Thank you.
    Saturday, December 31, 2016 4:14 PM

All replies

• You need to put up a new "under construction" home page with a file name that has a higher priority to your server than the current home page file name.  If you put an address in your browser, http://abc.com, the server will go to the home directory of abc and fetch the home page.  To find it, the server works from a list of possible home page file names, listed in priority order.  If more than one home page file exists, it serves up the first one found.

For example, you might have a current home page named "default.html", and you could put up a new page called "index.html", and make sure your hosting account had "index.html" set as a higher priority than "default.html".  Go to your hosting control panel or ask your host what the default page names are and what their order priority is, and choose your name accordingly - or reorder the priority accordingly.

This does not prevent links directly to other pages from working.  If you want to redirect all page links to your new under construction home page, that is a different topic, and depends on what scripting languages you know, and/or what features might be offered by your host.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

Saturday, December 31, 2016 5:46 PM
  • Thank you so much, Kathleen. That's a lot to digest but I think I see where you are coming from. Essentially what I want to do is make all the current pages invisible and just have a new "under construction" homepage visible. Again, is it still as you say, order priority? Or is there anything else I can do?
    Saturday, December 31, 2016 6:15 PM
  • You can't make the current pages invisible if people link directly to them unless you know a scripting language or other method to redirect the pages, such as developing URL rewrite rules in an asp.net site.  That's not an EW question.  I suspect it would take you longer to learn it than would be worth it to you to do, and waste time better spent fixing the site.

Frankly, if you don't want the site to be visible, the easiest way is to delete it from your host and only keep your local copy.  I am assuming you *have* a local copy and did not "edit live".

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Saturday, December 31, 2016 8:24 PM
    Saturday, December 31, 2016 8:24 PM
  • OK, thanks. Will do that then.
    Saturday, December 31, 2016 8:40 PM
  • For a simple, quick, and easy way to accomplish this, simply create your "under construction" page and name it something other than your current home page. For example, if your current home page is named "index.html,> name the new one "default.html." Now, in each of your other pages, including your old home page, simply add a single line redirect meta to the <head> section, like this:

<head>
       <title>Your Current Home Page</title>
       <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL='http://yourdomain.com/default.html'" />
    </head>

[NOTE: The XHTML 1.0 Transitional meta shown above has a self-closure (the " />" at the end). If using HTML5, make that simply a right angle bracket, ">", instead.]

Now, no matter if someone has a saved link to one of the older pages, or simply hand keys in the address of one of the older pages, as soon as they arrive they will be redirected to your "under construction" page. No need to take the site down or do anything else. Just add that one line to each page and you're in business.

Now, Google doesn't like redirects, but that doesn't matter as long as you have the site down, does it? And in the old, slow modem days and slow 33 MHz processor days the visitor would sometimes get a flash of the original page before he was redirected, but in my experience that doesn't happen anymore. Give it a try and see what you think.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, January 2, 2017 1:27 AM