none
5.6+EF6+Actions = broken

Question

• It would appear that the ActionProviderImplementation is broken when using DS5.6 with EF6 and EntityFrameworkDataService<T> instead of just plain old DataService<T>.

EntityFrameworkActionProvider currently expects a DbContext, but CurrentDataSource isn't a DbContext anymore with the new EntityFrameworkDataService.  Anyone already figured out how to get this working?

• Edited by MolallaComm Monday, October 21, 2013 3:33 PM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 4:43 PM

All replies

• Not here. And this breaks quite a lot of other things, too.

Looking at decompiled code, the data source is now of type EntityFrameworkDataServiceProvider2<T>. The class itself implements the CurrentDataSource property, but returns the instance object (`this`), so clearly that's not helpful.

I can't find any method returning a DbContext or ObjectContext in any of the public classes.

The current DbContext is used extremely often in change and query interceptors, as well as actions. If I really haven't missed anything, then the statement: "The team admitted that it didn't have time to do full testing on the new provider because the developers were "heads down" preparing for OData v4 support." is a bit of an understatement (Source: Visual Studio Magazine). Indeed this makes the component almost useless for a large number of users.

It seems there are a few other oddities in the API, and even if it's not my place to do so, I can't help but think that the code was written in a bit of a hurry.

I'd personally rather wait for a little while longer rather than having to live with a weird API until DS6 because its first iteration was released too early.

Monday, October 21, 2013 12:33 PM