none
Questions about the USB 3.0 Requirements RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently looking into getting the Kinect for Windows v2 and my computer meets all the requirements except that it does not have a USB 3.0 port.  However I've read in multiple places that you need to have an available USB 3.0 port or controller (such as the Xbox One support page titled Known issues with the Kinect for Windows v2 sensor under the Kinect does not function on a USB2 port or controller.  It appears that this is due (at least partially) to the power requirements as a user reported on these forums (titled Problems with Kinect for Windows v2) that Windows reported an error stating "USB dont have energy to do that" (sic); the user reported using a free translation tool to convert the error message from a Spanish Windows 8.1 installation so I am not sure if that error message is an accurate.

I found on this forum a post which lists an external USB hub that works with the Kinect (specifically the Targus USB 3.0 4 Port Hub and Pluggable 7 Port USB 3.0 Hub, both of which are powered via an AC adapter).  What isn't mentioned is whether the Kinect can be plugged into one of these external USB 3.0 hubs with the hub plugged into a USB 2.0 port.  

If the main issue is with the power availability difference between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 then it would seem that I could get the Kinect to work on my computer by purchasing one of these USB 3.0 hubs, plugging the Kinect into the hub, and connect the hub to my computer (via the USB 2.0 port).  

Would this setup work for me or would I still need to plug the USB 3.0 hub into a USB 3.0 port on my computer?  If it is the latter (i.e. the hub would still need to be connected to a USB 3.0 port), what does the requirements mean by needing a USB 3.0 port or controller?  By controller are they referring to something like a PCI-e card (which isn't an option for me)?

Thank you in advance for any information of clarification provided to the above questions.

-Dominick

Sunday, January 11, 2015 12:58 AM

All replies

• The USB3 requirement is due to the additional bandwidth needed which USB2 simply can't deliver.

Brekel

Sunday, January 11, 2015 10:12 PM
  • Kinect v2 requires sustained ~2.5GB/s of bandwidth as Brekel has stated. USB2 standard is not capable of those speeds. A USB3 will not resolve the issue because the data bus of the system is the issue. Communication from the device, driver, system bus and runtime all need to work at very high speeds to compute the required data and deliver this to the application in less than the 33ms between each frame.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, January 12, 2015 8:08 PM