none
What is .net from early beginning? any one may tell me the story or what is it all about? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've watched dozens of YouTube videos and read a lot of articles trying to figuring out what is .NET

every one saying that is it a platform and others says it is a framework and others says that it is something developed since 80s by Microsoft when Microsoft tried to compete with others like oracle and IBM ….

Thanks in advance for your time to reply me with details.

really confused about what it is exactly.

I want to have a solid understanding because I want to develop efficient programs using C#

Sorry if it is in the wrong forum but this is the most suitable one as far as I know.
    • Edited by Mohamed_GadAllah Saturday, April 13, 2019 7:18 PM Sorry if it is in the wrong forum but this is the most suitable one as far as I know.
    Saturday, April 13, 2019 7:17 PM

All replies

• A good reference here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Saturday, April 13, 2019 7:24 PM
  • You can see MSDN articles, like :

.NET Development

.NET architectural component

Saturday, April 13, 2019 7:32 PM
  • If I may say so, this is not what I am looking for because it is the same things I've goggled for earlier and still not get it.

To be honest, I found such topics mentioned by you or the other member a bit advanced and confusing for me, and I think it is my poor knowledge, so please given my poor knowledge what would be the more simple way or info to understand it as .net is a complete mystery for me.

Note: I did read it … I feel honest stupid that I do not get it … but I've to be honest to solve this problem.

I love programming and I am writing code already, but this is the honest situation.

Please do not laugh or make fun of an honest situation like this.

Thanks

MG

Sunday, April 14, 2019 6:33 PM
  • Hi 

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, I think the link below would help you in understanding .NET and .NET architecture.

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/puranindia/net-framework-and-architecture/

It descript the "What is the .NET Framework?", "Cross Language integration", "Difference between Visual Studio and Visual Studio .NET" and so on.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 15, 2019 6:01 AM
  • Not really anything authoritive, but as far as for software developer's concern, .NET framework is a set of runtime environment that allow you to write programs in any language (with .NET support) you like, and produce the same result (since they should be compiled to MSIL at the end before JIT-ed to native code).

This perception is good until .NET v4.X (less functional programming languages like F# which requires you to change fundamential way of thinking how to program), or when Microsoft decide to extend it to multiplatform (multi-OS).

Monday, April 15, 2019 6:53 AM
    Answerer