Metro Apps Launch Straight to Store (Crash)

Question

• Whenever I tap a metro app on my Acer W500, it just jumps to the store (which doesn't work anyway).  If I drag from the left edge of the screen as if I wanted to go back, it shows the loading screen for the app but then it eventually just crashes.  Any ideas?
    • Edited by Thyself Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:07 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:06 AM

All replies

• Update, Remote Desktop and Check M8 work fine.  Also, when I go back to the app with the left swipe as said in the non-working apps, it has the loading screen for awhile but eventually it just defaults to a green screen like the metro desktop.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:07 AM
  • Hello Thyself,

Apps opening to Windows Store is usually caused by corrupt user accounts. You can try and create a new local account or Windows Live ID account and the Metro apps should now open correctly to the Metro app.

Or you can try a refresh of the PC and the Metro apps should open correctly. 

If you are logged on with a Windows Live ID account, when you save the Windows Live ID password if it can’t reach the Windows Live Server to update the password is only saved locally. It then corrupts the profile and the apps open to the Microsoft store. You can try and update the Windows Live Password on the Windows Live server and then logon again to Windows Developer Preview. 

This was the scenario that I have experienced. If you are logging on with a local account, try creating a new account and see if the Metro apps work.

Please reply back and let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:15 AM
  • I am using a Windows Live account.  I changed my WIndows Live password and the password on the machine changed respectively.  However, the apps still don't launch properly.  I did create a new local account out of curiousity though and the apps launched fine.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:38 AM
  • Hello Thyself,

So it seems that the Windows Live account is corrupted and just changing the password didn't help.
    If you want to use the Windows Live Account, I suggest you do a refresh of the PC.

Here is what will happen you when you refresh your PC:

Your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:

Enter the Start screen

Click Control Panel

Click General on the left column

Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if the Metro apps work correctly.

Please reply back and let us know.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:29 PM