none
"Embedded" hardware changes? RRS feed

• Question

• We're trying to choose between Win 7 Pro (with many, many features turned off) and a Win 7 Embedded Standard image for a project with 75-100 computers.  We actually have two classes of machine:  user displays (two displays and lower end CPU/memory/drives) and core systems (one (actually zero) display and higher end CPU/memory/drives).  The machines will run Windows and our software only.

The thing is, since all of these are really just PCs, assembled by putting together all of the basic parts (motherboards, drives, etc.) purchased separately, when a component fails in the future it will be replaced by whatever similar components are available at the time.

Win 7 Pro will most certainly handle that situation, but will Embedded?  My reading so far seems to indicate that only the minimum hardware drivers necessary for the original image will be included and that says that any hardware changes have a strong chance of causing the image to fail.

Is there a simple answer to this question or perhaps some links to pages a manager might understand that will explain the answer?

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:53 PM

All replies

• nurbles,

When installing WES7 you can choose how much or how little to include in your image.  If the deployment footprint is not a concern, you can deploy with a more full fledged install of WES7 that will include all the drivers available in W7 that will allow you to be prepared for future hardware update/changes.  I assume since your considering W7 footprint being extremely small is not a concern.

Good luck!

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:54 PM
  • Thanks!  That's a much better answer than I'd hoped for!
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Also take into consideratio that drivers get updated, and you will still be able to install the latest drivers in the future under WES7.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:59 PM