Enterprise Library RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I want to use ETW(windows Event tracing) with enterprise Library 2.0.Is it possible to use this if yes then how we can implement this.

Ashish

Tuesday, November 7, 2006 10:43 AM

All replies

• Ashish,

I don't recall seeing anything built into EntLib that supports ETW out of the box, but you could always extend the Logging Application Block.

Tim

Tuesday, November 7, 2006 1:45 PM
  • Hi Ashish,

Enterprise Blocks doesn't directly give you API to use ETW, but you can use logging sink; extending the sink you can provide your custom Event Writer, and as application requires you can use it.

See the way Instrumentation has been done; in a same fashion you do need to use Event Logging. As it is kind of Logging you would use and extend the logging blocks.

You will need to put the configuration block to be able to read the Event configuration and initialize the Event source instance.

http://www.codeproject.com/dotnet/GetLoggingWithEntLib.asp

The above article explain how to create custom sinks and that way you can add the Event tracer. As you know the basic code to write the Event Tracing so it shouldn't be hard to extend and write the custom log writer.

I hope this helps you.

-Paresh.

Wednesday, November 8, 2006 1:23 AM
  • Also, there's an ETW trace listener supplied by an EntLib's sister project - Composite Services Guidance, that you may want to reuse.

Monday, February 21, 2011 10:40 PM
  • An ETW trace listener that shipps with .NET is called the EventProviderTraceListener. Thus you can plug it into EntLib.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:15 AM
  • Update:

The EntLib team is embracing ETW and the EventSource and working on the new Semantic Logging Application Block. See more info here.

Grigori

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:20 PM
  • I think you cant do this
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 12:14 PM