none
[EWS] Customers think Exchange Web Services is too risky -- any advice on how to calm their fears? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are finding that a lot of our customers have Exchange administrators who consider "Exchange Web Services" to be too risky to allow us to use.  They site concerns about security and stability of their Exchange server.  These customers want us to implement our integration using Redemption and the Outlook object model instead.  I'm finding this to be really disappointing that we are getting so much resistance to being able to use "Exchange Web Services" from our customers.  For developing a stand-alone application that runs as a windows service, I think "Exchange Web Services" is a much better choice for an API to use.  So, I was just wondering if anyone knows if Microsoft has any reading material that I could point our customers to look at that might help reduce their fear of allowing us to use "Exchange Web Services" on their Exchange server.

Thanks,
    Greg

• Edited by gkriggs Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:18 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I agree with you that your customers are wrong :-)

That said, I don't know of any reading material per se. But have a look at these WebCasts:

https://msevents.microsoft.com/cui/SearchDisplay.aspx?culture=en-us#culture=en-us;kwdAny=Exchange%20Server%202010%20Development;eventType=0;searchcontrol=yes;s=1

It might help to explain to your customers that Redemption is a layer on top of MAPI. And so are the Exchange WebServices.

Do your clients explain in more details what kind of risks they are fearing?

The security argument is silly. EWS uses IIS for authentication. So there is NTLM/Kerberos authentication secured by SSL. A user cannot do more harm to the server as he could using Redemption or extended MAPI. And given the fact that EWS is built by Microsoft as a premier method of access (besides MAPI, of course), I think that they have made sure that the WebServices do not compromise the stability of the product.

Kind regards,
    Henning

If you get your question answered, please come back and mark the reply as an answer.
    If you are helped by an answer to someone else's question, please mark it as helpful.

• Marked as answer by gkriggs Thursday, October 13, 2011 12:26 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:45 PM