• User-687931224 posted

Hi All,

Thanks for advance for any help.

I am using:

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015
    Version 14.0.24720.00 Update 1
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.6.01586

This is a Web Project in Visual Basic that I actually wrote back in 2012 and has been running fine for years. It is a Web forms based Shopping Cart that I heavily customized just to use the Database and Merchant framework to build upon. The developer of the Cart software came out with a newer version that includes enhanced security required by PayPal so I had no choice but to upgrade my original project.

I am trying to debug some errors and have noticed that, when debugging, the project no longer pauses at breakpoints. The original project was written using Visual Studio 2008 and breakpoints worked just fine. More recently, about a year ago, I made some changes using Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web...and again Breakpoints worked well.

I have since made some changes to my Development Workstation which is now running Windows 10 Pro. I also moved the My Documents folder from the C drive to the F drive to save space on the SSD System C drive.

Now while debugging I see at the breakpoints there is an error:

"The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document." And before I get flamed, yes I spent a whole day searching Google and trying at least 6 different suggestions for fixing that problem.

Today I used a utility UltraSearch to look for *.pdb files on both hard drives. Well I found a bunch that were compiled yesterday while I was building and rebuilding when trying to fix the problem. The location of these PDB files is...

C:\Users\john.STATWARE\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\f7c10d0a\1d27af2a\App_Web_sw3xxisd.pdb...as just one example.

The location the the Solution file is saved is:

F:\Users\john.STATWARE\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\PushMailCards10.com

I think that may be a reason for the problem. I have not found any PDB files on the F drive.

Can anyone suggest how I might fix the problem? Or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?

Thanks in advance,

John Kotuby

Friday, December 23, 2016 9:54 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted
    Change the project from release to debug build.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/3w7axy17.aspx

Saturday, December 24, 2016 12:50 AM
  • User-687931224 posted

Thank you for your answer mgebhard. Yes that was one of the many suggestions I saw when Googling the problem. I believe that my project is already in debug mode. I hope this screenshot displays for the forum. Is there some other place besides the web.config and Visual Studio where I should apply this setting? Maybe I missed something.

Debug Build seetings

Saturday, December 24, 2016 4:40 PM
  • User-687931224 posted

@CZ

Thanks for the links.

I tried several of the suggestions with no luck on VS 2015 community version.

I even removed and reinstalled VS 2015 after deleting all the folders with saved solutions and deleting all the folders that held PDB files that I could find.

Still no luck. Maybe because it is a Website Project I'm working on and there is no EXE that is produced?

I finally installed an older version of Visual Studio Express for Web 2102. I opened the Website with that environment and upon debugging, it reliably stopped at the break-points. I did not have to configure anything...it just worked. That's more my style!

So for now, I am back in business. I find it strange that an earlier Express version would work so much better for me.

Of course I would like to find the fix for VS 2105, but as an IT Manager  in a small company, Development is only part of my job. So I have no more free time to spend.

BTW...I am no longer seeing the "Break point will not be hit" message in VS 2105...but still no stopping at break point during debugging.

Thanks for offering the links.

Thursday, December 29, 2016 7:47 PM
  • User-687931224 posted

Well, I thought I had found a solution for VS 2015.

I opened the VS 2015 command prompt and ran the undocumented command devenv /ResetUserData .

Per instructions at  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17203820/how-do-i-truly-reset-every-setting-in-visual-studio-2012

I then went to File->Open->Website and pointed it to the folder where I had my website files.

I opened showcart.aspx where I wanted the break point and set the break point at Sub Page_Load().

I then pressed F5 to start debugging.

The project actually stopped at that break point. Great!

But then I went to a page that had an image button pointing to showcart.aspx.

This time the project did NOT stop at the break point. Wow now I'm really disappointed.

Here is the code for the image button:

<asp:ImageButton ID="btnViewCart" runat="server" ImageUrl="~/images/b_view_cart_off_2.gif"
                      OnClientClick="if(!justview())return false;" PostBackUrl="~/shop/showcart.aspx?task=view" />

I initially thought because JavaScript is used in an image button to call the page that maybe that was the problem.

But I quickly dismissed that idea because the same Button when clicked in VS Express 2012 allows stopping at the break point.

Now I am looking at ways to COMPLETELY remove all traces of VS 2015 and install it from scratch with the default options.

Oh well....

Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:11 PM