none
Best practices for using content controls and bookmarks in Word 2007 XML RRS feed

• Question

• What are the rules for including bookmarks within content controls?

In general, I have been able to have a bookmark (programmatically added) within a date content control. But at times, the bookmark tags end up in the wrong position (like if the bookmark's start tag ends up before the content control's start tag). When this happens, I get an XML error when I try to open this document.

I need to have bookmarks inside of most content controls (not just the date ones) for backward compatibility purposes. For instance, if the document is saved down to an earlier version of Word and then brought back to Word 2007, I use the bookmarks as placeholders for where I should add the content controls back in.

Where can I find information about what document elements are allowed within the various types of Word 2007 content controls?  Are bookmarks within content controls generally not supported? Any tips for making sure that bookmarks and content controls play well together would be greatly appreciated.

PS - I am trying to minimize cross-posting, but I did pose this question also on the Open XML Developer forum and have not received any responses.

Thanks

Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:10 PM

All replies

• I am moving this thread to "Open XML Format SDK" forum to see if experts there have ideas about this.

Thanks,

Ji

Thursday, May 29, 2008 2:28 AM