none
Replacing a motherboad on an OEM licensed Toshiba i7 laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a Toshiba i7 laptop.  I tested it, it has a fried motherboard.  This model is basically a fire hazard.  The i7 on it is like dropping a Corvette engine in a Chevette.  I have one working and have dealt with this and half bought it to try to fix up otherwise to user for parts.

Now here is my issue, if I invest the 70 bucks for a new OEM motherboard from Toshiba, and replace it, will I have to reinstall Windows or purchase a new key OR will it just work flawlessly.  I have read the licensing literature and it says if you are upgrading the mb, then yes you need a new license, and that you do not need one if you are replacing a defective one.

I am not upgrading, I am swapping for a defective board.  However, will Windows recognize its the same model despite being a new motherboard and be ok with that and assume its just a replacement for a defective one... I doubt that. Or does it have to be through Toshiba support.   If it does recognize it automatically, kudos for windows for being so smart.  If not,  How do I replace the mb and reactivate windows or make sure its valid once I go through the process replacing the mb.  Windows 7 personal premium.  Toshiba a505-s6033.

Sunday, November 24, 2013 6:10 AM