none
Is there a problem with using Site Recovery with SQL Express? RRS feed

Answers

• Q1.  The same vault for Backup and Site Recovery?

Ans: Yes. Recovery Services vault is a unified vault in the new Azure portal, a replacement for Backup vault and Site Recovery vault.

Reference: General availability of Recovery Services vault

Q2. Can I use one vault to provide site recovery to several VMs and their contents?

Ans: Yes. You can protect up to 250 servers with one vault.

For more information refer: Site Recovery limits

If you want to protect files and folders on a server with recovery services vault refer the below article:

Back up files and folders

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

• Marked as answer by JohnPapa05 Tuesday, August 15, 2017 5:39 AM
    Monday, August 14, 2017 1:35 PM

All replies

• What resource (Hyper-V, VMware, etc) are you intending to replicate? Are you experiencing any issues protecting SQL Express?

As per this document Protect SQL Server using SQL Server disaster recovery and Azure Site Recovery , these SQL Server versions are supported, for the supported scenarios:

•SQL Server 2016 Enterprise and Standard

•SQL Server 2014 Enterprise and Standard

•SQL Server 2012 Enterprise and Standard

•SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise and Standard

Also, refer to the thread which discusses on a similar topic.

To highlight, you can replicate any workload running on a supported replication machine. In addition, the Site Recovery team has performed app-specific testing for a number of apps
    (workload summary).

Edit: Added thread link.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:11 PM
  • Hi John,

ASR has application consistent replication, it does it for SQL so it should work for SQL Express too

Cheers Christophe - Kindly click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you - www.cloudcrusader.com

Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:12 PM
  • I am in the initial stages of dealing with backup and site recovery. There should be no problem. The needs of our  application can be satisfied with Express, so wew will give it a go.
    Sunday, August 13, 2017 6:48 AM

• Edited by JohnPapa05 Sunday, August 13, 2017 7:46 AM
    Sunday, August 13, 2017 6:49 AM
  • Ajay, if it would help I am considering backup and site recovery for an Azure VM, so maybe your question wheter HyperV or VMware may not apply.
    Sunday, August 13, 2017 7:02 AM
  • If I were to rephrase my question

I have an Azure ARM VM and have installed SQL Express. Can I do backup and site recovery with Express? Answer should be yes, right?

Sunday, August 13, 2017 7:17 AM
  • Yes, you can backup your VM with Azure backup and also you can take the backup of your SQL Express DB's from the SQL Server. Regarding the question of Azure Site Recovery of your ARM VM if you are planning to use Azure to Azure site recovery and planning to replicate the VM to another Azure region currently this is the restriction as follows.

Currently you can only migrate from one region to another. You can fail over VMs from one Azure region to another, but you can't fail them back again.

Please see this link

Sunday, August 13, 2017 1:28 PM
  • Thanks Askwizard,

I am going through some trial runs for backup. Has the interface changed? See below old and new interface. Also in the old interface I had to install 2 files, vault credentials and an installer. Do I still need to install these 2 files?

Als, I was prompted to specify the items to backup. If I have SQL Server installed, would I have an option to choose it for backup?

John

Sunday, August 13, 2017 1:48 PM
  • Also as indicated in the picture below, can the same "Recovery Services vault" be used both for Backup and Site Recovery?

Sunday, August 13, 2017 2:22 PM
  • Yes, the 2nd screen shot which you have attached is the screenshot from the Azure new portal, please use this interface to create Azure backup.
    Sunday, August 13, 2017 4:12 PM
  • A Recovery Services vault is an online storage entity in Azure used to hold data such as backup copies, recovery points, and backup policies. You can use Recovery Services vaults to hold backup data for various Azure services such as IaaS VMs (Linux or Windows) and Azure SQL databases. The answer to your question is yes. You can use it for both purpose.
    Sunday, August 13, 2017 4:15 PM
  • Also, when it comes to site recovery, can I use

1) the same vault for Backup and Site Recovery?

2) one vault to provide site recovery to several VMs and their contents?

In the old interface I had to install 2 files, vault credentials and an installer. Do I still need to install these 2 files?

• Edited by JohnPapa05 Monday, August 14, 2017 6:01 AM
    Monday, August 14, 2017 5:51 AM
  • "Azure to Azure DR" scenario is publicly available now. Please refer to the link below.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/site-recovery/site-recovery-azure-to-azure

Thanks,

Sujay

Monday, August 14, 2017 1:33 PM
  • Q1.  The same vault for Backup and Site Recovery?

Ans: Yes. Recovery Services vault is a unified vault in the new Azure portal, a replacement for Backup vault and Site Recovery vault.

Reference: General availability of Recovery Services vault

Q2. Can I use one vault to provide site recovery to several VMs and their contents?

Ans: Yes. You can protect up to 250 servers with one vault.

For more information refer: Site Recovery limits

If you want to protect files and folders on a server with recovery services vault refer the below article:

Back up files and folders

• Marked as answer by JohnPapa05 Tuesday, August 15, 2017 5:39 AM
    Monday, August 14, 2017 1:35 PM