none
How to automate the process of adding the updated references to a project.

Question

• I have 2 projects

1. Reference Project

2. Actual Project

We frequently change the Reference project and use it in our Actual Project. Both applications are separate. How can we automate this process that when ever we change the reference project , automatically the actual project will use the updated reference.

Need to use it for my devops design.

Please help me in finding the solution. 

• Moved by Sabah ShariqMVP Monday, December 05, 2016 2:25 PM Not related to C#
    Friday, December 02, 2016 7:11 AM

All replies

• I have 2 projects

1. Reference Project

2. Actual Project

We frequently change the Reference project and use it in our Actual Project. Both applications are separate. How can we automate this process that when ever we change the reference project , automatically the actual project will use the updated reference.

Need to use it for my devops design.

Please help me in finding the solution. 

I guess no one is responding to this, because it's too far off the wall and makes no sense.
    Friday, December 02, 2016 8:27 PM
  • Hi,

Link both project in single solution in visual studio and make reference of reference project into actual project with copy local false. You can check for more options also for nature of reference.

Thanks

Lokesh

Monday, December 05, 2016 12:46 PM
  • Hi Sabyasachi1,

I am moving your thread to Visual Studio General Forum for getting quick response.

Thanks,
    Sabah Shariq

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Monday, December 05, 2016 2:24 PM
  • Hey

Option 1: Use project references instead of assembly references.

Option2: If project references (as mentioned in Option 1) are not an option, package and distribute your assemblies across your applications using NuGet packages and use the NuGet update options

/Koen

Monday, December 05, 2016 2:31 PM
  • Hi Sabyasachi1,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Does your issue is solved or not? Refer to your description, you can have a look at the recommend from Koen.

You can think about the Project-to-Project references, Project-to-project references are references to projects that contain assemblies; you create them by using the Project tab. Visual Studio can find an assembly when given a path to the project. The advantage of a project-to-project reference is that it creates a dependency between the projects in the build system. The dependent project will be built if it has changed since the last time the referencing project was built. A file reference does not create a build dependency, so it is possible to build the referencing project without building the dependent project, and the reference can become obsolete.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 5:38 AM