Toolbox components RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to Visual Studio 2005 and to C#. I'm looking for a reference, preferably a book, that gives examples and describes the various components from the Toolbox. A little guidance and a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
    Friday, January 27, 2006 6:08 PM

Answers

• I'm not trying to be funny or offensive so please don't take it this way. Have you tried looking in the MSDN library? If you are using a full (non-express) version of visual studio, it should be on one of the discs in the Box.

Also, be sure to register your Visual Studio, one of the benefits is a book that gives a walkthrough of VS2005. The express editions --VB, and C# at least-- get a book that introduces you to those languages in specific.

I'd highly recommend starting off with downloading the C#2005 express edition, registering for benefits, getting the book and working through it. The express edition is targetted toward learning the basics and combined with the book provide a great start for learning.

Friday, January 27, 2006 6:41 PM

All replies

• I'm not trying to be funny or offensive so please don't take it this way. Have you tried looking in the MSDN library? If you are using a full (non-express) version of visual studio, it should be on one of the discs in the Box.

Also, be sure to register your Visual Studio, one of the benefits is a book that gives a walkthrough of VS2005. The express editions --VB, and C# at least-- get a book that introduces you to those languages in specific.

I'd highly recommend starting off with downloading the C#2005 express edition, registering for benefits, getting the book and working through it. The express edition is targetted toward learning the basics and combined with the book provide a great start for learning.

Friday, January 27, 2006 6:41 PM
  • Many thanks. I've installed the msdn library which is also new to me. I'm simply using the search feature to find samples of the components from the toolbox.

One more thing. Is there another subject/thread that I can visit for specific help on the components i.e. I want to know how to force a richtextarea to fill the entire area of a splitcontainer's panel and rezize automatically?
    Friday, January 27, 2006 7:39 PM
  • In the properties of the richtext area component, there should be a Dock property. Click the down area and select the center box (fill). That will make the component fill it's parent container.
    Friday, January 27, 2006 8:24 PM
  • Many thanks, but I believe there's a problem when doing the same with a tabpanel with more than one tab. Set dock to fill, run, resize (larger), and the problem is evident. One must select another tab to get the component to render correctly. Bug?
    Friday, January 27, 2006 9:26 PM
  • You know I've read about problems with tabpanels before...I can't say for sure if it's a bug or not. Maybe someone from MSFT can help here.
    Friday, January 27, 2006 9:50 PM
  • A great place to post the second question is in the Windows Forms Forums (there's one for Windows Forms General and one for working with Windows Forms Controls).

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=2&SiteID=1

WinForms team members will be looking there.

Thanks,

Karen

Wednesday, February 8, 2006 1:14 AM