IPv6? RRS feed

• Question

• Does Expression Web 1 and/or Expression Web 2 Preview create IPv6 compliant sites?

I can't find anything about this anywhere in my searches or in the app menus or app Help, so turning to the forums for help.

We need to make sure our site is IPv6 compliant. If ExWeb isn't, then our alternative will be to use Dreamweaver CS3.

Thanks,
    bb
    Friday, April 11, 2008 9:25 PM

Answers

• As I stated earlier, EW has nothing to do with IPV6.
    When publishing, EW uses browser settings controlled by wininet.dll
    So it's the computer that determines if EW can access an IPV6 IP address.
    If you're not using DNS to access the domain, and you're positive it is an IPV6 address,
    enter http:// and the IPV6 address as the publish address. If properly configured the computer will find the address, not EW

FrontPage MVP
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 2:38 PM

All replies

• IPv6 has absolutely nothing to do with how a site is created or rendered in a browser.
    it is a protocol that replaces / updates IPv4 which is used to determine IP addresses.

http://123.345.567.789  is an IPv4 IP address.

IP addresses are what the domain name system uses to direct a browser to a domain on a server by routing
    www.mysite.com to the IP address on the server.

So in actuality the answer to your question is yes.

FrontPage MVP
    • Edited by Steve Easton Friday, April 11, 2008 10:29 PM spelling
    Friday, April 11, 2008 9:41 PM
  • To see how what i posted above works, open a command window,
    ( Start > Run type: CMD and then click OK )
    in the command window type: ping www.google.com
    and then press enter.

See what is returned.
    FrontPage MVP
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:04 AM
  • bb, would you please share how you've arrived to this question? Has a salesman told you to be concerned about this?
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:44 AM
  • Really.
    Kind of wondered that myself.
    FrontPage MVP
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:51 AM
  • There are no salesmen involved :)

I did not really understand why this came up either, but I did some digging and feel I can explain the concern. Apparently, the project involves an intranet website that is using an IPv6 web server, and there is no DNS service available.

So I think the questions that need to be answered are:

1. Is Expression Web 1 and/or 2 compatible with IPv6 when publishing? (It seems like xWeb will need to use an IPv6 IP address when connecting to the remote website.)

2. Is Expression Web 1 and/or 2 compatible with IPv6 when connecting to a site using ftp?

This is all new territory for me, so thank you for your help!

Thanks,
    bb
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 11:30 PM
  • Now the questions make more sense :) I can't answer these specific questions but would like to say that in case EW can't work with an IPv6 web server, you could still use it for developing the site. You'd just use a separate FTP client program to publish files.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 3:27 AM
  • As I stated earlier, EW has nothing to do with IPV6.
    When publishing, EW uses browser settings controlled by wininet.dll
    So it's the computer that determines if EW can access an IPV6 IP address.
    If you're not using DNS to access the domain, and you're positive it is an IPV6 address,
    enter http:// and the IPV6 address as the publish address. If properly configured the computer will find the address, not EW

FrontPage MVP
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 2:38 PM
  • Thanks Steve. I guess we'll just have to try it to find out if it works.

bb
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 6:50 PM