Performing QA during Sprints - Advice? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have 9 Sprints during our development.

Each Sprint is 10 working days.

We had originally planned on a QA (System Test) phase for 4 weeks after development completes (end of Sprint 9).

We are now looking to perform QA at the end of each Sprint rather than doing QA at the end of Sprint 9.

I have a couple of questions:

1. The approach we are taking is to change the capacity of each developer to allow time in each Sprint to resolve Defects raised. This will mean that we will not finish until potentially a Sprint 12 or 13.

2. We are planning on addressing critical / high priority defects during our Sprints and having a Sprint at the end to resolve medium / low priority defects.

I'm looking for feedback / advice on this approach from those who have done something similar or something different maybe which works better?

Thanks

CG

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:29 AM

All replies

• Hi NuTech,

If you want to perform QA at the end of each sprint, you could consider to add working days for each sprint . If your QA users are not the same people as the developer, you could set days off for each member. Let me make an example for this:

I set Sprint5 start date: March 30, end date: April 7, 7 working days. The 3/30-4/5 is developer working days. The 4/6-4/7 is tester working days. I set jingzhu yan 2 days off during 4/6-4/7. And set Starain Chen 5 days off during 3/30-4/5.

Could this method meet your requirement?

>>2. We are planning on addressing critical / high priority defects during our Sprints and having a Sprint at the end to resolve medium / low priority defects.

You could select specific sprint which you want as the iteration value of critical/high priority or medium/ low priority work items.

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 7:30 AM
  • Thanks for that. Really helpful.

I suppose my key question is how much time do I allow in each Sprint for bug fixing.

If my developers are 100% on development tasks, should I allow 20% of this for bug fixing?

What is your experience on this?

CG

Thursday, March 30, 2017 8:56 AM
  • Hi NuTech,

It depends on your own situation. I am not familiar with the development plan of a project. 

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:23 AM