none
Deployment Problems with LINQ RRS feed

• Question

• If I am in the wrong place, I apologize up front.

I have a Windows appliction that uses Linq-To-SQL.  I am updating a set of tables that are related in the DBML through a FK.  On the development machine all this works fine, and it works regardless of whether I am using the development database or the production database.  When I deploy this application, I get an exception, "Specified Cast is not valid" in the Linq classes.  Since the application works on the development machine and works to any database instance, I don't think this is an issue with SQL server or the application (although I could be wrong about that).  It looks to me like this is some sort of deployment problem with the framework.

I am running .Net 3.5 SP1 on all the machines including the development machine, and I have verified that I am running the same version, (at least I think I am).  I am pretty much stumped as to why this is working on the development machines, but will not deploy to any environment.

I have this same issue with a web service application.  The web service runs fine on the local machine for development, but I can not publish it to any srver without getting this exception.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If I need to post this somewhere else, please let me know and I will.

Thanks...
    Monday, February 8, 2010 4:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Mmcclendon,

Thank you for your kindly sharing! I really appreciate that.

For anyone who want to know this issue, it is documented here:
    http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=351358
    Moreover, for better understanding, please also check the following helpful blog:
    http://rexcitations.wordpress.com/2009/08/15/specified-cast-is-not-valid-error-using-linq-with-foreign-keys/

I noticed that this KB refers to the hotfix NDP35SP1-KB963657-x86.exe.
    However, when I searched for KB963657, I found this link to download:
    http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbln=ja&kbnum=963657
    When I downloaded it from the web site, I found that the name of this installer is 372294_intl_i386_zip.exe.
    If you don't mind, could you please tell me how you get the hotfix NDP35SP1-KB963657-x86.exe?
    I believe that this will be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:35 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:54 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:53 AM
  • I finally figured this out. There is a hotfix for the .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 that addresses this issue. Once I stumbled on the hotfix and applied it, the problem was solved. For anyone who is interested the KB Number is 963657.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 7:07 PM

All replies

• I finally figured this out. There is a hotfix for the .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 that addresses this issue. Once I stumbled on the hotfix and applied it, the problem was solved. For anyone who is interested the KB Number is 963657.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 7:07 PM
  • Hi Mmcclendon,

Thank you for your kindly sharing! I really appreciate that.

For anyone who want to know this issue, it is documented here:
    http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=351358
    Moreover, for better understanding, please also check the following helpful blog:
    http://rexcitations.wordpress.com/2009/08/15/specified-cast-is-not-valid-error-using-linq-with-foreign-keys/

I noticed that this KB refers to the hotfix NDP35SP1-KB963657-x86.exe.
    However, when I searched for KB963657, I found this link to download:
    When I downloaded it from the web site, I found that the name of this installer is 372294_intl_i386_zip.exe.
    If you don't mind, could you please tell me how you get the hotfix NDP35SP1-KB963657-x86.exe?
    I believe that this will be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:35 AM typo
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:53 AM
  • Hi Mmcclendon,

I've marked your and my reply as answer. If you have any concern, you can unmark my reply and let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:54 AM

• lists two solutions to problem:

Type: Bug
    ID: 351358
    Opened: 6/16/2008 1:24:23 PM
    Access Restriction: Public

but the hotfix link(NDP35SP1-KB963657-x86.exe) is not valid

There are other posters who ask for a valid answer, but no response.

How can this remain marked as a resolved issue?
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Brad Murry asks an excellent question, but gets no response. I am experiencing this problem and it is supposed to be fixed by NDP351SP1-KB963657-x86.exe but that file is nowhere to be found. Given this problem was first reported 2 years ago, what are we supposed to do if we have this problem?

Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:47 AM
  • I had to call Microsoft support and have them send me the hotfixes. I dont know why they aint public
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:24 AM
  • I too had to call Microsoft Support and have them send me the hotfix.  The support person said that they (tech support) don't control what is public and what is not, so she did not know why it was not public.

Just as a side note, a support call like this is free.  If you have issues after the install of the hot fix that you have to pay/use support incidents.

The number I called was 1-800-936-4900.  I had to say "Technical Support" and "I don't know" to get to a real person.  It took that person a few tries to find it, but they can find it eventually.

• Proposed as answer by Vaccanoll Monday, November 15, 2010 6:51 PM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:13 PM
  • Hello,

I found this file after via email sent from microsoft found on this link

after registering the email and I don't know why it's still not public

those who don't believe the spam policy of microsoft use this link below :)

http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/.NET%20Framework%203.5%20-%20Win7%20(CBS)/sp1/DevDiv597687/30729.4024/free/372294_intl_i386_zip.exe

use this password while extract : T2%Vzra

-Holy

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:08 AM